There's more to be said

A/N Did anyone else think Pixal's physical return as Samurai X must have affected Zane much more than he was allowed to admit in the show?

The following conversation would have taken place at some point after his return from the Realm of Oni and Dragons at the end of season 9. Zane has eventually found a moment to talk with Pixal alone.

Zane (hesitantly): Pixal ... On that day after we'd crashed into the jungle, when we tried to fix the Bounty's engines ... Do you remember asking me if I ... approved of your new body?

Pixal (turning towards him): Yes?

Zane: Your question took me by surprise, and I'm afraid I was rather short-spoken. After that day, there wasn't really another opportunity to talk, but I couldn't help thinking about it again and again. And I've long meant to tell you that ... there's more to be said. (Pixal looks at him, sensing an undertone that worries her). Pixal ... (He takes a deep breath.) If we're being honest, the point was not whether you're more useful inside the computer or as Samurai X. And the point was not if I like having you around me as a physical being – of course I do. But ... before, when you were still in my head, you were always there for me, you were the one who gave me comfort and hope. I relied on you and trusted you. And then you suddenly logged off and didn't come back after the attack by Acronix and Nya rebooting me, and I was devastated. I didn't understand what had happened.

Later, we unexpectedly found you on that drive in the Samurai mech, and none of us knew how exactly you could have transferred onto it, but Nya said that the whole cave had been wired up during my reboot and that it wasn't completely implausible. So we were just happy that we hadn't lost you and could integrate you into the Bounty's system. (He looks into her eyes.) And I realized that you liked communicating with the others, taking part in our missions, while I still had you in my headset when I needed you. Yes, you were useful inside the computer.

Pixal (looking away): Oh. That's not what I understood at the time. And ... and I told you to be honest!

Zane: Wait. I haven't finished yet. I admit that sometimes, I was jealous because I'd lost that special connection with you and you were now equally close to the others. But at the same time, I started to wonder how you felt about it. I began to wait for a sign of you that you wanted to get back into a body of your own. I would have helped you!

Pixal: Really?

Zane: For sure! But the months went by and you were always so cheerful when you supported us from the computer. It led me to believe that you were happy with your situation. Happier than you had been with me. That hurt, but I could accept it, because everything was better than the days when I thought I'd lost you forever. I had no idea that all this time, you already had a body, and you had your own mission, being the new Samurai X! You'd broken free. And then, during that storm and the attack on the Bounty, when I learned that you'd done this without help from me or anyone else, I realized that you don't need me at all. That hurt, too. But ... (He turns to her with a sad smile.) Knowing that you'd made the right choice, seeing you happy, outweighed a lot.

There is a long silence.

Pixal: I am so sorry. I was so afraid of you not supporting my decision ... that you'd resent me leaving your head ...

Zane (quietly): Which I did ... for a while.

Pixal (sighing): You see? There were moments when it almost broke me that I couldn't be open with you. So I talked myself into believing that my support via the Bounty's screen and your headset was all you needed and wanted, and that you'd think me taking up the Samurai role was ... I don't know? Inappropriate?

Zane: You would have had my full support.

Pixal (after a pause, her voice very soft): The thought that I might like to have a body of my own never occurred to you while I was still in your head?

They are both quiet for a long moment.

Zane (avoiding her gaze): No. I suppose that was very ... selfish.

Pixal: So many misunderstandings.

Zane: Can we put them behind us?

Pixal: You forgive me?

Zane: I already have. You?

Pixal: A long time ago. (She pauses.) And it's not true that I don't need you. Are we ... are we still compatible now that our systems are disconnected?

They look at each other, and then share a very long hug.

Zane: I don't feel disconnected from you at all. Not any more.