Diagon Alley

Dateline: July 31st, 1991 in London

Both Harry and Hermione are on the subway with Hagrid as Harry and Hermione read their letters.

''First-year students will require: three sets of work robes, one wand.'' he paused and looked up at Hagrid for a minute

''Essential bit of equipment, kids,'' he said as Hermione took over Harry's spot

''One pair of dragon-hide gloves.'' she paused and looked up at Hagrid with a puzzled look 

''Hagrid, do they mean from a real dragon?''

''Well, they don't mean a penguin, do they?'' Hagrid answered ''Heh. Crikey, I'd like a dragon.''

''You'd like a dragon?''

''Fast and misunderstood beasts, Harry and Hermione. Fast and misunderstood.''

After they hop out of the train, they headed towards the streets of London, where Harry left off from his reading.

''All students must be equipped with...one standard size two pewter cauldron and may bring if they desire either an owl, a cat, or a toad.''

''Could we find all this in London?'' Hermione said, bemused

''If you know where to go,'' said Hagrid as they walked into a pub that was filled with guests with music playing in the background.

''Ah, Hagrid! The usual, I presume?'' the Bartender questioned

''No thanks, Tom. I'm on official Hogwarts business.'' Hagrid said, patting Harry and Hermione's shoulders ''Just helping young Harry and Hermione buying their school supplies.''

''Bless my soul.'' said Tom ''It's Harry Potter and Hermione Granger.''

The pub went silent at the mention of Harry and Hermione's name as people went forward to greet themselves.

''Welcome back, Mr. Potter and Ms. Granger.'' said one man. ''Welcome back.''

''Doris Crockford, Ms. Granger. I can't believe I'm meeting you and Harry at last.''

''Harry P-potter and Hermione G-granger.'' stuttered one man wearing a turban on his head ''C-can't tell you how p-pleased I am to meet you two.''

''Hello, Professor. I didn't see you there,'' said Hagrid, noticing the turban man. ''Harry and Hermione, this is Professor Quirrell. He'll be your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts.''

''Oh, nice to meet you,'' Hermione said, sticking a hand towards Quirrell, hoping for a handshake, but he refused

''F-fearfully fascinating subject.'' Quirrell stuttered again ''N-not that you need it, e-eh, Potter and Granger?''

''Yes, well, must be going now. Lots to buy.'' Hagrid said as he walked out to a door that leads them to a dead end. ''See, Harry and Hermione, you're famous!''

''But why are were famous, Hagrid?'' said Harry confused. ''All those people back there, h-''

''How is it they know who we are?'' said Hermione, cutting Harry off

''I'm not exactly sure I'm the right person to tell you that, Harry and Hermione,'' Hagrid said, as he pointed his umbrella at a brick wall causing the bricks to shift and open up a hidden street outside the pub. ''Welcome, Harry and Hermione, to Diagon Alley,'' he said, as Both Harry and Hermione got their first glimpse of Diagon Alley. ''Here's where you'll get your quills and ink, and over there, all your bits and bobs for doing your wizardry.''