05 | Boundaries

Walking into the Lawrence Cafe there wasn't much to see

Walking into the Lawrence Cafe there wasn't much to see.  A few tables here and there, a amin desk, and bustling waiters with dishes along their arms as they walked to and fro. Looking around I tried scouting out a certain blonde.

To be completely honest I was beyond anxious. Meeting two people in one day was enough, but then I just socialized with a bunch of numb skulls at laser tag, and now I'm meeting the friend...of a "friend". This is way to much socialization for my taste.

"Dakota, over here!"

At a granite table top table I see Addy waving me over with a girl with dark tanned skin, a curly afro, and gorgeous long legs beside her. The girl was wearing a white tennis skirt, and a skin tight black band crop top. She was beyond gorgeous.

Walking over my knees want to buckle, I want to fall to the ground and army crawl out of here. But I've already been spotted, no luck in turning back now. Once I reach the table Addy stands up and gives me a hug. I stiffen on instinct but neither mention it.

Turning her head back from the crook of my collar bone to her friend still sitting on the seat that was next to hers, she introduced me to her "Ok Dakota, this is my friend Tate, Tate this is Dakota."

Sitting down, we pick up the menus and begin skimming through the menu. Hearing a voice I avert my eyes from the fruit section and to who was talking, Tate. "I heard you're a scholarship student, that's really f'ing bad ass. But if it's not rude to ask why Lawrence? I mean we are just all assholes, rich assholes."

I didn't expect this question. I'm a little baffled I thought, maybe she would try asking me about I don't know surface level things, makeup, clothes, something of the sort. But no...she was genuinely making an effort to get to know me.

Though I mean of course I appreciate it, I don't think I want to spill my guts about coming here because my dead brother wanted to is the best idea. So a vague truth should do it.

Answering I explain "Not that I haven't noticed the rich assholes, but I guess I needed a big change. There is nothing like the Lawrence Academy anywhere else, so I just jumped. Took a risk, not 100% if it was worth it yet." I crack my knuckle under the table with anxiety.

Tate nods and smiles. "Hell yeah, I appreciate someone who can be badass like that."

As we continued the conversation, Addy had her two cents here and there but mostly just pleasantly listened as me and Tate talked.

We got to the topic of what her parents do as we went on. I found out how ambitious Tate really is. Her mother is a famous CEO of her self made law firm, and Tate wants to follow in her mom's footsteps. She has an amazing relationship with her mother.

I wish I had that. Mothers don't do what she did. Or so I was told by the social workers the day I was dropped of to my grandmothers.

"And for you?" A waiter asks, I didn't even notice him walk up until now.