16 | Never Wink at Me

The bell above the glass door sounds, as I pass a customer her smoothie, receipt, and a fake smile

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

The bell above the glass door sounds, as I pass a customer her smoothie, receipt, and a fake smile. "Enjoy."

Going back to the cash register, I make sure my company apron is on tight.

Looking up I'm met with the most obnoxious customers I've ever had on this island, that conveniently only come in on my work hours recently for the passed two weeks I've worked at Sandy's Smoothies. "Hey Bitchhh!" Toby walks in front of everyone. Every head in the line and tables swerved to his little scene.

As he is coming to a stop in front of the register I whisper yell to him. "Can you try to not yell so I don't get fired!"

"Oh you're right, my bad." He pauses to clear his throat, as Wyatt rolls his eyes, not bothering to look up from his phone.  "Hey, Bitch!" Toby whisper yells.

"Alright what are you here for? And if you don't mind the tip jar is a little empty. I guess trust fund baby's can pay for a twelve dollar Acai bowl, but not a 20% tip." I wipe the counter down with a wet cloth before throwing it to the side.

"Oh, we're not here for lunch or anything. Can we talk to your manager though?"

"Trying to get me fired?" I raise a brow as I watch Wyatt slip in a wad of cash into the tip jar, not meeting my eyes. I don't bother mentioning because I know for a fact if I do, he'll take the cash out just a quickly as he denies it.

"Never, but we;ve gotta question." Toby reasons as he leans forward across the counter, twirling a piece of my hair teasingly.

Smacking his hand away, I look away from his stupid little grin to someone else more reasonable. Addy looks at Toby like he's crazy. "We? Please he means just him. He wants to use the break room to run lines for his next Novella."

"Can't you just do them at home?" I look over at the door to make sure my dumbass friends aren't holding a line up. When I look back, everyone seems to go still, including Tate and Darien who had been having a conversation about the menu, and Wyatt who finally looked up from his phone. Early awkwardness seeps into the conversation.

Tate is the one to speak up first. "Kit and Cam are in a-" She pauses seeming not comfortable with finishing her sentence.

Thankfully Darien decided to put what I assume is nicely. His soft whisper timid amongst the constant chatter of the Cafe.  "...not very happy conversation at the house."

'Not very happy conversation'. Meaning they're arguing. The perfect couple. Kit and Cam? They are the definition of a healthy relationship, from what I have gathered as long as I've known them.

If it was loud enough, or bad enough for everyone to have to leave the house it must be really serious. Shit.

Taking the hint, I nod my head in understanding and turn around to find Rick, my manager.

Spotting the greying, balding, short, frail man in the green apron near the sink talking to another coworker I walk over to him.

As the the coworker leaves, Rick turns around at my approach. "Dakotaaa, how's my favorite newcomer?" His tooth gap prominent in his goofy grin. His crows feet all the more adorable on his timely pink face.