Part 15

It's the moment you have all been waiting for. My long awaited return has finally come at last!

"They want him to spy on the Chancellor!" Ahsoka shouted through the com.

"Yes, his term has long since expired and the Council is beginning to wonder what his true motive is," Obi-Wan replied.

"The Chancellor has been a great friend and mentor to Anakin. I can't imagine he's happy."

Obi-Wan sighed. "No, he's not, but he's the one that's closest with the man, the only one Palpatine would let get near him."

"I warn you this won't end well Obi-Wan. Stop this before while you still have time, before it goes bad."

"Ahsoka I can't do that. The Council needs to know what the Chancellor is up to. The war is over and he still hasn't stepped down from his position," Obi-Wan countered.

"Fine, but when this goes south don't say I didn't tell you so."

Obi-Wan chuckled. "You two are so alike. I'll keep you updated on the happenings and Anakin and I will return to Onderon when it is time for Padme to give birth. Tell little Ben I say hi."

"I will Master. May the Force Be With You."

"And with you, young Ahsoka."

Ahsoka ended the communication. She groaned and plopped down backwards onto her bed, startling the twins. Ben and Ani began to cry as they could feel their mother's inner turmoil. Ahsoka frantically scooped them up in her arms and tried to calm them. "Shhhhh... shhhhhh... it's okay taziunt. It's okay," Ahsoka cooed. After a few moments of this, the twins started to stop crying and calmed down.

Ahsoka set them back on the bed with her, and they both almost immediately fell asleep. Ahsoka just smiled at them, she couldn't believe they were hers. As a Jedi, she had never even thought about having kids, but now that she had them, she couldn't imagine life without them.

Suddenly there was a noise at the door, and Ahsoka turned to see Padme standing there. "Hey, I heard crying. Is every okay?"

"Yeah they're alright now. They just felt my inner frustration through the force and it upset them."

"What're you frustrated about if I may ask?"

"It's Anakin's new assignment. The Council wants him to spy on the Chancellor and report on his 'dealings' as they call them."

"What! How could they ask him to do that? The Chancellor has been a friend to Anakin since he was a little boy."

"I know that's what I told Obi-Wan, but he said the Chancellor has been in power longer than he should have been, and even with the war ended he hasn't stepped down from power. They're worried he has other plans and ulterior motives."

"Hmmm," Padme mused. Now that she thought about it, the Chancellor had been in power far longer than he should have been. The fact that he still would not step down concerned her even more. "Well it is true he should not still be in power, this isn't a Council matter. This is a matter for the Senate to handle democratically."

"That's what I thought too. I told Obi-Wan that they need to call off this mission before it's too late, before something bad happens."

"I agree Ahsoka. I agree."

~~~

Anakin was furiously pacing around his room. The council wanted him to spy on a good friend, a father like figure to him, and for what reason? Because they thought he had ulterior motives? The chancellor had done nothing but help continue the Republic through these difficult times. He had seen them through the entire clone wars to this point.