Part 6

After a quick break for lunch, the rebels, along with their Jedi teachers made their way to an open place in the middle of the base. Rex and Anakin, along with the help of a few rebels dragged 3 repurposed destroyers out of some boxes and placed them in front of the rest of the group.

"Destroyers are quick," Anakin started, "pack twin blasters, and come with their own shield generators. Nothing short of a cannon will pierce it." Anakin paused to allow for the information to be digested before continuing. "They do have two weaknesses, however. You will need to work together to exploit them."

Anakin gave a nod to Rex who then  pressed a button on a control panel, causing the destroyer to come to life and activate its shield. "The shields deflect high velocity attacks," Anakin continued. Rex took out a blaster and shot at the destroyer to demonstrate the Jedi's claims. The shield easily deflected each of his blasts. The destroyer then moved to face ex

"What the shields don't stop, however, are slow or stationary objects. They're designed to absorb them so nothing hinders their movement." As Anakin was saying this, Ahsoka, who was standing behind the machine, activated a bomb-like device and slowly tossed it towards the destroyer. It bounced a few times before it slid inside the shield. Once it came to a full stop, it sent out an electromagnetic pulse that disabled the destroyer.

"Destroyers are blind from behind," Ahsoka stated. "A distraction combined with a rear assault, will give you a kill. The trick is to get the right speed on the droid popper." The entire time Ahsoka was talking, there was a smile plastered on his face. It was something about her voice, she spoke with a certain regality. Steela noticed his smile and just scowled.

Once Ahsoka had finished her explanation, Rex pressed the same button again that he had earlier, but this time all three destroyers activated. He took a droid popper from his pocket and held it up. "These are unarmed. Just concentrate on getting it past the shield," he said tossing the popper to Saw.

Saw caught the device and strode confidently towards the destroyer. "Watch and learn," he said giving a side glance to Lux. He tossed the droid popper at the destroyer, but it came in with too much speed and bounced right off.

"Quite brilliant," Lux remarked sarcastically. Ahsoka smiled and tossed him a droid popper of his own. He caught it and took a second to concentrate before giving it a toss. The popper was rolled much more slowly than Saw's, and easily slid past the shield. 

"Hmm. Nice touch," Ahsoka remarked a bit seductively.

Lux blushed and was taken aback by this, but her tone went unnoticed by all but him. "Thanks," he replied with a curt nod, quickly regaining his composure. Steela frowned at the interaction between the two, and quickly jumped in before anything else could happen.

"Not bad," she said giving him a playful punch on the shoulder. Lux smiled and pushed her back playfully. Ahsoka sighed and reluctantly grabbed another droid popper and tossed it to Steela. The girl grabbed the popper out of the air confidently and tossed it towards the destroyer; however, much like her brother, she threw it too hard and it bounced right off. "Ugh," she exclaimed angrily. Ahsoka just smirked happily.

"Be mindful of your frustration," Obi-Wan advised. "It'll only hold you back."

"Here," Lux said walking over to Steela. He grabbed onto her arm and shoulder. "Use your shoulder, let your arm swing and keep your eyes on the target," Lux instructed moving Steela's arm in a throwing motion. Steela smiled and nodded at Lux, as he continued to move her arm in the same motion.

Ahsoka watched the two from off to the side, her heart breaking more every moment they were together. She felt like she was losing Lux, even after what he had just told her. The togruta could feel tears starting to form in her eyes, but forced them back inside. She had to be strong and couldn't key the others in on her feelings.