notes

ok i decided to came after awhile to explain to you something about the novel, which i already tried to do in the story itself but maybe this way it would be clearer! i don't know if anyone would care about this lol

at the end there is a little "analysis" of my story so you can find the parallelisms. 

.

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame is a gothic novel written by Victor Hugo. The plot is about a gypsy girl, Esmeralda, whose beauty mesmerize the men who watch her street performances. Among those men there are three of the other characters: the captain Phoebus, the archideacon Frollo and Quasimodo, the guardian of the cathedral. 

The three chapters have different types of love for the girl: 

• Phoebus wants her only physically, since he's already betrothed to another girl, Fiordaliso

• Frollo wants her only for himself and for physical desire, too; he's a church man but the book explains very well his psychology, since he actually believes in science and not religion. 

• Quasimodo is the only one who truly loves Esmeralda, but he knows that she will never love him back for his looking. 

The plot is about Esmeralda falling for Phoebus, and she will be arrested due to an ambush organized by Frollo, when the two meet at the val d'amour (a place where people go to ... you know lol). Basically Frollo is terribly jealous about other men watching Esmeralda, he thinks that no one but him should have her. While Phoebus doesn't care at all, Phoebus keep chasing her desperately, and so does the police, so Esmeralda is forced to hide in the cathedral and Quasimodo helps her. She cares about him but constantly asks for Phoebus, who, on the contrary, have already forgotten about her existence (lol)

Blah blah blah, at the end they catch Esmeralda and she dies at the end of Frollo. 

Quasimodo reaches the underground spot where they throw Esmeralda's dead body, hugs her and dies, as his body stays forever hugged and interlaced with the girl's. 

.

inspired by the novel, riccardo cocciante and luc plamondon wrote a popular opera about the story. it's not properly a musical, since there is no acting. it's just singing and telling the story through the verses of the songs. so he likes to call it opera but popular because it's not lyrical.

the quotes you read along the story are from the songs from the french version, the very first one. 

i really recommend you to listen to them because honestly they're beautiful (in my opinion, the english version is not so powerful as the french and the italian one, unfortunately)

SO

in the story, san goes through different stages of love. he starts with only watching "esmeralda" and considering her (him) something untouchable as beyond the reality. he's as pure like quasimodo, and he knows that she will never notice him.

then, the desire grows in him as phoebus and frollo, but more like frollo, because he becomes desperate for love and physical needings. 

finally, wooyoung decides to go with someone else (a kind of phoebus, who "wants her only for the outside, without looking at the inside", which is what san does), and this will be fatal.

san doesn't die for love, as quasimodo does, but his pureness will last forever, and he will never feel again such a powerful and important feeling as he did for wooyoung. 

.

and that's it!

as i already said, i'm really into this story even if it's pretty simple

so thanks to everyone who read it ♥