Chapter 12: Emperor Scorpion's Pledge

Five months ago, Gusion was in the Saber squad, training happily with the other members. He's fast and swift, so he earned the top place on the squad. The founders of the squad were Dr. Bob and Dr. Vance. Both of them founded the squad to protect Zlatan and its peace.

The magic cube is the only thing protecting the balance of Zlatan, plus it also gives great power to the one that unlocks it. But no one knows the code.

If the magic cube is destroyed, the balance and peace will be broken, and chaos will erupt. But, if someone unlocks the magic cube, that person will be unstoppable.

One day, Gusion and the Saber squad were having their training as usual, but a fire broke out of the training room all of a sudden, and the fire spread to the whole base of the squad. Unfortunately, everyone escaped, but Gusion realized Dr. Vance is still inside the burning base. He ran back into the lair, over fires, and into the lab where Dr. Vance always rests.

He found him on the ground, choking over the smoke.

He saw the showcase where the cube once been was shattered and the glass was everywhere.

"Dr. Vance, are you okay?" Gusion held Dr. Vance up, but he can't get up giving by the fact that he's too weak.

"Gusion listen..." Dr. Vance let out a cough.

Gusion leaned towards Dr. Vanceas he whispered into his ear. "Dr. Bob has the magic cube, he wants to destroy the peace of Zlatan, you must stop him from getting the code, you must take the magic cub back from him."

"How?" Gusion panted.

Dr. Vance pointed at Angela who is in a big tube of green water, cords plugged into her back, her eyes are closed.

"She knows the code, get her far away from Dr. Bob before he finds out."

Gusion stood up and went towards the big tube Angela's in. He smashed the glass with his elbow and ripped off the cords behind her back.

He carried her in his arms and ran for the exit until he remembered Dr. Vance. He swiveled to him and ran to his side.

"And what about you?" he said.

"You cannot save me," Dr.Vance breathed. "stop Dr. Bob, remember my words."

Gusion blinked back tears. "But-"

"Go!" Dr. Vance breathed and turned motionless.

Gusion got up and ran to the exit, but found it blocked with remains of the ceiling above him. He looked for another way out and saw a window. He smashed it and jumped out with Angela in his arms. He landed and almost lost his balance from the impact. He turned and saw the Saber squad, Lab assistants, and Dr. Bob, who are still waiting for his return.

Instead of returning to them, he got up and ran away from the Saber lair with Angela. He got into a forest and saw a cave. He went inside but realized it wasn't a cave, it was an abandoned secret lab.

He set Angela on the dusty sofa and spotted a mirror. Gusion went towards it and saw his smoky and ashy face looking back at him. His sliver hair looks grey with dust in it.

Remember my words.

He glared at his own reflection, recalling what Dr. Vance told him. Gusion heard a groan and swiveled and saw Angela who is stirring on the couch. He walked towards her.

"Where am I?" she asked Gusion.

"Safe," he replied simply.

Two months later, he watched the Saber squad in the shadows with Angela by his side. Both of them saw Hanabi as her brother got destroyed in an explosion.