Chapter 12

Word count: 1,533        Characters count: 7,788

Y/N POV

    I feel someone holding my hand and I slowly open my eyes and see Newt.
    I try to speak but it comes out raspy "N-nn-"
    "Here, love, drink." He gives me water and I drink it. "How do you feel?"
    "Fine. How is Thomas doing?"
    "He is still out but he is ok."
    "What have I missed?"
    "Gally has taken power. He is planning to banish Thomas and Teresa." I give him a confused look. "We have a plan. When Thomas is taken to be banished we will fight back." I give him a nod. "Love, why were you saying in your sleep that it's your fault?"
    "I should have saved all of them."
    "You cant save everyone Y/N. you saved Chuck, take that as a win."
    "But- Alby."
    "Alby sacrificed his life and he was ready to die." Newt pulls me into a hug and kisses my head. "So do you hate Gally?"
    "I can't hate him, he is my best friend but I'm sure as hell made at him."
    "Will you join us to leave the maze."
    "Hell ya! I've been stuck in this maze for five shucking years."
    "Maybe you can convince Gally to come with us. But don't do it till the plan is in motion."
    I nod and stand up and look around. I walk towards the door and open it. Gally stands there looking at me.
    "Y/N I'm so sorry" Gally starts to speak.
    "It's ok... you didn't know." I pull him into a hug. "Now I need to go on a walk." He gives me a nod and I walk towards the deadheads. I stop at the first tree and sit down.

Couple hours later (At Sunrise)

    I look over to where the pit is and I see Newt, Minho, and Chuck sitting there waiting for Thomas to wake up. I walk over to them and I sit beside Chuck.
    "How are you doing?" I ask all of them.
    "I'm ok. Thanks for saving me." Chuck tells me.
    "Of course you're like my little brother." He pulls me into a hug.
    "Hey. Are you okay?" Teresa asks. We look over and see Thomas awake.
    "What the hell were you thinking?" Chuck asks Thomas. I put my hand out and Chuck gives me a high five.
    Thomas sits up and looks at us sitting outside the pit. "What happened?"
    "Gally's taken control. He said we had a choice." Newt tells him "Either join him or get banished at sundown with you."
    "And the others agree to that?" Thomas asks.
    "Gally has everyone convinced that you're the reason all this has happened." Teresa explains.
    "Well, he's been right so far." Thomas looks away from us.
    "What are you talking about?" Minho asks, confused.
    "This place... it's not what we thought it was. It's not a prison. It's a test. It all started when we were kids. They'd give us these challenges. They were experimenting on us. And then people started disappearing. Every month, one after the other, like clockwork." Thomas tells us.
    "Sending them up into the maze?" Newt asks.
    "I could have told you it was a test. All W.I.C.K.E.D has ever wanted is to find the cure. I was a damn test. They gave me these powers by doing tests and torturing me." I tell them.
    "Cure?" Chuck asks.
    "Doesn't matter."
    Thomas continues "yeah, but not all of us."
    "What do you mean?" Newt asks him.
    "Guys, I'm one of them. The people who put you here, I worked with them. I watched you guys for years. The entire time you've been here, I... I was on the other side of it." Thomas looks at Teresa "So were you."
    "What?" Teresa asks him.
    "Teresa, we did this to them."
    "No. That can't be true."
    "It is. I saw it."
    "Why would they send us up if we were with them?"
    "It doesn't matter."
    Newt speaks up "He's right. It doesn't matter. Any of it. Because the people we were before the Maze, they don't even exist anymore. These Creators took care of that. But what does matter is who we are now and what we do right now."
    "You want to know something Tommy?" He gives me a nod. "I've never told anyone but me and Ben's parents they worked for W.I.C.K.E.D. They created those goddamn Greviers but they didn't do it by choice. If they didn't create those monsters I would probably be dead. They tortured us so my parents would create a monster. You got sent here so you must have done something to piss them off so that's good enough for me."
    Newt looks at me with a sad smile. He looks back to Thomas and continues talking "You went into the maze and you found a way out."
    "Yeah, but if I hadn't, Alby would still be alive." Thomas says.
    Newt pauses and stares at him "maybe. But I know if he were here, he would be telling you the exact same thing. Pick your ass up and finish what you started. Because if we do nothing, then that means Alby died for nothing, and I can't have that."
    Thomas gives us a nod "Okay. Okay, but we gotta get through Gally first."