Chapter Nine: A Fresh Start

You felt like Jesus on the cross after that first night in the cell. If the crucifixion could collapse his lungs, than this stupid position could collapse yours. You were in a position like upward dog, just without the support of your hands. They were handcuffed to the cell's bars above your head.

You had been in that position for nearly twenty-four hours at this point. Everything was making you angry. You were cold, hungry, thirsty, tired, sore, and you really needed to use the bathroom. Jealously, you watched as a line of ants marched in an undulating line. They each had little crumbs over their heads. Where they had gotten them, you didn't know. But you wanted those crumbs.

"Come on, can't you share?" You whined, calling out to the ants.

They ignored you.

You scoffed and hung your head. You wanted out of the cell. You wanted to see people again, even if it was those serial killers upstairs. Maybe if you made enough noise, somebody would come down.

"Just a small-town girl," You began to scream, making sure that you off-key from the song. "Livin' in a lonely world! She took the midnight train goin' anywhere!"

You sang the rest of the song, progressively getting worse and worse as the song went on. After that, no one came down to the basement. So, you tried again.

"We're no strangers to love! You know the rules and so do I!" You screamed out, louder than before. If anything would annoy them, being Rick-rolled atrociously definitely would.

You were right. Halfway through the song, Michael stomped down the stairs and unlocked your hands. He proceeded to drag you up the stairs and sat you down on the couch.

"You can't sing well."

"I doubt you can do any better, big man " You retorted.

You had Michael there. The dude couldn't physically talk, let alone sing.

You heard him huff from beneath his mask as he scribbled something else down.

"You're sharing a room now. With Billy. We've already moved your things there. This way, someone is always watching you and you can't get out."

"I'd rather share a room with Jeff! At least he doesn't stalk me."

"That's why I put you with Billy."

You stood up and angrily flipped off the boulder with a mask that sat in front of you. As you began to walk past him and towards the kitchen, he grabbed you by the waist and pulled you backwards. He bent you backwards over his knees.

Propping himself up on your ribcage, he turned on the T.V and refused to move. Every time you began to wriggle out of his grasp, he would remove his arm and push you back to where you were.

You stayed in the position for about thirty minutes before Pennywise flounced downstairs.

"Oh! What's this?" He asked, tilting his head.

"Michael is a petty piece of-" You were cut off my Michael's hand slamming over your mouth.

Again, you flipped Michael off. Your ribs hurt and you just wanted food.

Eventually, Michael let you go. You swore Pennywise to secrecy and stormed up to your new shared room.

"Hiya, roommate." Billy tauntingly greeted from his bed, not looking up from his book.

"Go eat your hand," You fumed, flopping over to your bed.

"How about you eat yours?" He retorted, raising his eyebrows.

"You know, I am pretty hungry. I might as well eat what's left of your dignity," You shot back.

"Nothing left. Maybe you should go eat your heart," He countered.

"No, you should eat mine. Maybe then you'll actually know what it's like to care for somebody."

"I'd rather eat your face. Then, I won't have to look at it anymore."

The two of you went on like that for a few more minutes before Billy through a pillow at you. You threw it right back. It hit his book in just a way that it was pushed forcefully into his head. Slowly, as if contemplating if you were worthy of life, he turned to look at you.

Suddenly, Billy stood up and lunged at you. Billy was fighting to keep you underneath him and you were fighting to get him off you. At first, it was because he was hurting you. Then, a thought crept into your head.

This is so awkward.

You shoved Billy off you, no longer comfortable. He landed on the floor and tossed his hair out of your face before looking at you.

"Start fresh?" He proposed.

"Excuse me?" You asked, not understanding.

"Do you want a fresh start? I do kind of feel bad for slapping you," He admitted.

You nodded. You honestly didn't care, but it would be better than the relationship you had.

"Also, I guess you'll need help with, like, everything. You know, considering your leg. That work, honey?"

You were done with the pet names.

"I'll make you a deal. Stop using pet names on me and I'll stop trying to leave. It'll only make life harder on you, so it mostly works out in your favor," You offered.

Billy agreed after a moment of consideration.

"Now, Y/N, I could go for some food. Would you like a sandwich?" He asked, standing up.

"I would love that, Billy."

_________________

"So, we got off on the wrong foot," Billy began, biting into his sandwich. "But, since we agreed to start over, I think we should get to know each other. So, let's play Never Have I Ever."

You and Billy played Never Have I Ever until dinner was ready. By the time that dinner was ready, you had learned just about everything about Billy and he had learned just about everything about you.

"So, Y/N, how are you adjusting to your new roommate?" Tiffany asked at dinner, twirling her fork in her spaghetti.

"I don't have a motive to like him," You replied, making a joke about Billy's ex wanted a motive for murder.

Billy tried to stifle his laughter, but ultimately failed. The confused looks of everyone else at the table only made it funnier. They didn't understand why you and Billy were getting along.

"I thought you hated each other?" Jeff asked, sipping on a beer.

That only added fuel to the fire. It wasn't even funny, but the utter confusion made you and Billy hysterical.

Michael realized, in that moment, that maybe you could be a pleasant person. Maybe, just maybe, your barriers were too thick. He was all too eager to have everyone break them down.