1 Goodbye Tokyo!

It was the last day of her college exams. Min SuYeong trudged her way to the examination hall. She had mixed feelings- she felt happy that studies were finally over, she was anxious because now it meant she had to look for a job, she was excited about what the future holds for her, but mostly, she was sad, sad because she had to leave this beautiful city of Tokyo that she called 'home' for the past seven years.

She first came to her dream city when she was 17. She had just finished high school then and had decided to follow her childhood dream of pursuing higher studies in Tokyo. She had always wanted to be a teacher, and now that her college studies and teacher training were almost done, all that was left was to get her results and find a teaching position in a good school. But this job hunt had to be carried out back home in Seoul, Korea.

Her mother had suffered from a stroke just 6 months ago and was still in the process of recovery. Sure her dad n elder brother were there, but her mom needed her home. As soon as her mom fell ill, she knew that her life in Tokyo was coming to an end.

SuYeong shook off her thoughts and focussed on her exam paper. 3 hours later, she walked out with her friends, officially ending her college life. They were all chatting excitedly about what they would do now that exams were over. SuYeong had a few more days till she had to pack all her bags and leave, so they planned to spend the next few days hanging out together and making precious memories.

Memories! Tokyo was full of memories.. Her first surprise birthday organized by her friends, her first major crush, her first time living alone in an apartment, her first time cooking for herself, and most importantly, Cha DongHa, her first love.. and her first heartbreak.

DongHa was half Korean and half Japanese. She had met him through common friends. He was extremely charming and from the first meeting, something pulled them towards each other. They spent more and more time texting and talking over the phone. They went for long walks and talked about everything under the sun.

It was bound to happen! Within a matter of a month, he asked her out and she was the happiest person on earth that evening. Their friends were also happy that finally, after all that flirting and spending time, they were finally together.

They attended different universities but spent most of their non-class hours together. Time with him and the rest of their friends was the time she was happiest. All her tiredness from long hours of listening to lectures and doing assignments disappeared as soon as she saw his dazzling smile when they met after classes.

They were inseparable. Innumerable movies were watched, craziest ideas were shared, friends' birthday surpises were planned, yummy meals were cooked, long bus journeys through the city were taken. All her life, SuYeong had never known a love so exciting and adventurous.

She had already met almost all of his family members and relatives, and they had already accepted her as part of the family. He, too, had already spoken to her parents and elder brother, and had met her parents once when they visited. Her mother had been a little apprehensive at first, but when she met him and saw how caring and respectful he was, she had approved immediately.

SuYeong and DongHa were madly in love, they were so sure, they had their future planned out: finish studies and then get married, have 2 kids and spend forever together. SuYeong didnt think it was possible to love someone so much, and yet she did.. she was living her best life.

But her best life had other plans.. After they completed their Undergrads, he left for Canada for further studies while she stayed in Tokyo, like she had always wanted. They were sad but they thought they could work out a long distance relationship for the next 3 years, till DongHa completed his studies. Boy, were they wrong!

Initially, they were glued to their phones, texting throughout the day and even night, calling each other as much as possible. She missed him terribly, his warm embraces, his presence that made everything okay, his lame jokes that made her snort and chuckle even though they weren't funny. It was the same for him, too. But life started getting busy and it started getting difficult. Distance did not make their hearts fonder. Slowly, they both started seeking companionship in their friends.

Over time, there was less communication and more misunderstanding between them. He was jealous of her guy friends and she was jealous of the new girls he met there. Eventually, after about 5-6 months of a struggling long distance realtionship, they broke up. It was devastating for both of them.

That was more than 3 years ago and the memories still pinched her. They were on talking terms now since he was back in Tokyo, but neither of them thought of getting back together. It would probably end the same way even if they did try again. The damage was already done. So being just friends was quite enough.

She tried dating after the severe heartache died down a bit. There were two guys after him, both were friends she had known. They had always liked her and when she started getting close to them, they started getting too clingy. She somehow kept comparing them to DongHa and they kept falling short. So it never turned into anything serious.

She was pretty sure she could never move on from DongHa but at the same time, she couldn't go back to him. She was stuck, and there was one solution: she completely gave up on the idea of love. 'I'm happy just having crushes! No headache of telling them, no heartache to either of us. Win-win situation!'

As her time in Tokyo was coming to an end, SuYeong reminisced all of her memories of Tokyo, good and bad. She was thankful for all of her experiences here. They helped her grow, they helped her become strong, independent, confident and wise. They also shaped her to be adjusting, understanding, kind and helpful. She was thankful for her friends, for the families she got so acquainted with that they felt like her own. She was thankful for Tokyo!

Tomorrow she was heading back to Seoul, back to the place she grew up in. She was happy she would be home, but she was also anxious- Would she find a good job? Would she be able to take good care of her mom? Would she meet someone who she could give her heart to? The last one was quite impossible, but only time would tell.

A/N: Hi there! This is my first ever book on Wattpad. I'm a fairly new Army, and even newer to Wattpad. Since I enjoy creative writing, I decided to try my hand at a fanfic. This story is based on my experiences. Most of the plot is what happened in real life, but since it's a story, I have to add 'spices' to my simple and mundane story.
This won't be too long of a story, probably 10-11 chapters, and I plan to update once a week since I'm practically winging it and have only an outline for each chapter by way of saved drafts. Also, I have a hyperactive almost-2 yr old son to keep me on my toes.
So, thank you if you're reading this and have decided to wait for the next update .
18.07.2021