Imagination 8: Sleepless in the City

"Sivaangi, it's important to me that you share your truths, your feelings with me, and not Vishal...as you did today."

Sivaangi did not know how it felt to gasp for air till now. Her heart was beating so fast and loud that she was sure Ashwin could hear it.

Precisely five seconds - the longest five seconds of her life- must have passed in anticipatory silence when her mother called out.

"Sivaangi, Sreekuttye kaanum. Nee paarthiyaa?"

Sivaangi thought, "Ithuthaan chance!"

"Ashwin."

"Solluma." So much mischief in his voice. Sivaangi could literally feel her whole body turning different shades of red.

"My mom is calling me. Our kitten appears to be missing."

"Ponumaa?" Ashwin's raspy voice. Sivaangi thought that she would be the youngest person in history to die of a heart attack.

"I'll call you back in a while, okay."

"Hmmm, I heard your mom calling you. I erm won't be sleeping till you call me back."

"Yes, yes, give me a while. I'll call you back."

"I mean it. I cannot sleep till I hear you again, Sivaangi. Talk to you soon, okay."

Sivaangi couldn't form a proper sentence and managed an "uh-huh" somehow. The moment he hung up, Sivaangi fell on her bed with her arms stretched out. Looking at the ceiling, she thought about what she had gotten herself into. 

Remembering Ashwin's words, Sivaangi covered her face and giggled shyly.

"Sivaangi. Naan evalo neramaa kupudaruthu?"

Sivaangi got off her bed to look for Sree, her lifesaver.

__

Ashwin looked at his phone blankly for a long time after hanging up. He knew Sivaangi understood what he was talking about. She was stunned, as he could tell by her silence and quick breaths. Sivaangi was not one to go quiet under any circumstance.

Leaning back on his armchair, he stared at the ceiling. Should he ask her directly when she calls back? Maybe they should meet. This, after all, was a life-defining moment, and he was not going to tell her how he felt over the phone.

It didn't matter what anyone thought; their differences did not matter; nothing did after he heard her confession. Ashwin was going to throw caution to the wind and tell Sivaangi that he had fallen as well. He had fallen quite deeply. They both deserved to know their feelings, and after that, it was in their hands to decide the next step.

Ashwin laughed. The next step. He did not for once believe he was capable of loving a woman, much less think about the next step. In just six months, he was a different man. Different, but it felt right.

The next step has to be joyful and beneficial to Sivaangi. She has so many dreams and aspirations. She should achieve everything she wants, knowing that he would be waiting for her. Ashwin felt contented just thinking about it.

__

After a stressful one-hour search, Sree was found sleeping on a grass patch behind a shrub in the backyard. It did not occur to anyone to look in the backyard as they did not think the kitten would leave the inner premises. Sivaangi and her family were so relieved, albeit tired.

Sivaangi wanted to smack Sree. Saving her at the nick of time and then taking up an entire hour. Ashwin might have fallen asleep waiting for her call. Glancing at the clock, Sivaangi said her good-nights hurriedly and went to her room.

She settled herself under her covers and picked up her phone. Oru chinna 'I love you" rehearsal pannalaama? No, go with the flow. Sivaangi mustered every single ounce of courage in her petite frame and dialled Ashwin's number.

"Hello."

Ashwin was awake. He did not sleep indeed. Sivaangi was thrilled.

"Mannaa, thoongalaiyaa?"

"I told you right. I cannot sleep till I hear from you."

"Athu yen appadi?" Sivaangi bit her tongue. This is called 'asking for it'.

"Are you sure you are ready to know why, Sivaangi?"

All the butterflies which had disappeared during the kitten search were back. They must be enormous butterflies, for every inch of her body was screaming in shyness.

"Enna ithu? The greatu, the maasu, the devasena Sivaangi who has something to say for everything is quiet." Ashwin thoroughly enjoyed teasing her.

"Tell me, Sivaangi. Are you ready to know why I cannot sleep?" 

"Hmmm, readynnu thaan ninaikiren." What was he going to say? Intha heartu vera sathamaa lab dab lab dabnnu. Kadavule!

Ashwin could hear her smile in her voice.

"Shall we meet?"

Again, she was stumped.

"Hmmm, yeah, sure."

"Let's meet tomorrow at Kipling Cafe? Say at 1?

"Kipling Cafe ah? The same place our interviews took place?"

"Aammaa, Kipling Cafe-ve thaan. Ange Vishalkitte nee ennai patthi yenna soniyo athaiye enkitta...ennoda kanna paathu sollanum."

Sivaangi gasped. If she had any doubts whether Ashwin overheard her telling Vishal about her feelings, it was all gone. Ashwin knows, and he wants to hear it from her. Sivaangi felt nervous and excited.

"Naanum unkitta...unnoda kanna paathu oru unmaiye solla poren, Sivaangi. So let's please definitely meet tomorrow."

"Ashwin, I am...erm...I...I will see you tomorrow at 1 pm, okay. Naan erm ippo phone-eh vachuduren." Sivaangi knew she could not continue the conversation. She felt like exploding.

"Thookam varutha? Ennakku athellam innikki kedaiyaathu. Unnakkum varaathunnu ennakku theriyum. Haa. Seri, rhombe disturb pannitten. I'll see you tomorrow, okay. Good night, ma."

Sivaangi whispered, "Good night, manna."

Ashwin was going half-mad, savouring her shyness over the phone. He knew he would become thoroughly distracted by her in person, and that's what he wanted. He wanted to see her, hold her, and savour her whispers in his ears.

It was going to be a long, cold sleepless night for them. But not for long.