|Chapter 5| Besides the Sparkling River

"My love for you is like a river, you cannot tell how deep it is just by looking at it

"My love for you is like a river, you cannot tell how deep it is just by looking at it." - Jamey Einrem

Ophelia

I ran all the way through the forest, and now that I see it clearly, it's not that scary at all. So the stories lied huh, no scary wolves and definitely no scary ghosts.

The dry leaves of the blooming fall chip beneath my feet and I can't help but feel secure and warm in the forest, even with the abysmal wind and cold, this feels like my safe place. Whenever I moved yet again I would always find a new one. Once it was Mr. John's bakery, Candance's garage where she and her band would play and then the tree I would always climb with Tyler.

I don't know why but this forest gives me a sense of familiarity and comfort like no other. I just don't understand why my parents think there's so much danger here.

While I keep running through the chilling air in the forest I see the same glittering eyes I saw the first day I got here. I pause, frightened by the familiarity of them, yet they are very distant at the same time. I get closer slowly. And I notice it's features, it looks oddly menacing and almost evil.

It's eyes just stare daggers at me and then it starts to growl aggressively. As it gets closer to me I can only pray that he turns out like Mr. Bubbles, scary and furry, but friendly and lovely.

The trees block the light from the moon above me, leaving me in a sea of darkness and I can only see the wolf's eyes going deeper into mine as it stares at me. I take several steps back and then I noticed it.

I was cornered.

There were 2 other wolves next to the other and 2 behind me.

And they didn't look friendly.

The wolf with the glistening eyes jumps to strike me and I close my eyes and put my arms in front of my body quickly. I prepare for the hit but it never comes. I slowly open my eyes and see a circle of light all over me, like a protective barrier. I can feel a spot on my forehead burning slightly and when I try to touch the light it burns me.

"Wha-what is this?" I touch the circle lightly again and it won't let me go out. "Agh!" It struck me in the arm and took a portion of my skin off. The pain was bad and it hurt a lot but right when it started it finished.

What the- How did this happen, do I have superman powers or something?

I take a look at the wolves and their expressions are so expressive that they almost seem human, and as if on queue, when they noticed me looking they all growled again, at least all minus the one on my back. And for some reason I didn't feel hostile towards that one.

I look back at it and see that it's got white hair and piercing black eyes that can only remind me of those of my childhood best friend. "Tyler?"

As the wolf heard my call he looked at me as if his biggest secret had been revealed. So it was him! Wait a second- I'm stupid, so stupid! Tyler is a human, he's been human all his life. Getting out of my thoughts I shook my head to look back at a howl nearby.