The beginning

My eyes flickered open briefly, the bright light paining all my senses. My alarm blared violently as I tried my best to ignore it. Opening my eyes once more, I turned in bed, shoving a pillow over my head.
"Jarvis, turn off my alarm, please," I grumbled
into my pillow.
"As you wish," the familiar robotic voice answers back. I had programmed my own Jarvis last summer, and I was quite proud of it. It took a lot of work, but now it models the AI from the movies.

Now, usually I would snooze my alarm at least three times before I really got up, but I guess I was too tired to comprehend my movements because before I knew it, I was rolling out of bed and onto the floor with an audible thud. Groaning, I roll onto my back and stare at the ceiling decorated with pictures of sea life. My detailed depictions of jellyfish, octopuses, manatees, and cuddle fish are at home on my ceiling, making me feel calm. Regaining my composure, I stand up and quickly make my bed before throwing on an outfit that I had lay out the day before.

I open my phone and text my friends Noe, Mackenzie, Anne, and Katie. Katie and I are the closest, but we are all very good friends.

We talk about how glad we are that it's Friday, and all the tests we have coming up in the next few weeks. Deciding to continue getting ready, we all say our goodbyes, even though we'll see each other in like 45 minutes.

I put my phone on my bathroom counter, plug my earbuds into my phone, and turn on Pink Lemonade by The Wombats to start the day right. I hum along as I brush my teeth, but it only comes out as a garble because of the toothpaste in my mouth. Next, I wash my face, put up my hair, and put on light, natural makeup. Glancing at my phone as the song comes to a whisper, I see that I still have 20 minutes before I have to leave. I guess that's what happens when you get out of bed the first time your alarm goes off.

Plopping back down on my bed, and causing it to wrinkle slightly, I unlock my phone and open Wattpad. I was in the middle of a Spider-Man fan-fiction when I left it last. As I start to read, my mind wanders to the world of the MCU. I imagine myself as a part of it, too. That's what I love about books. They can take you anywhere from daring sword fights to a beautiful romance, all by the combination of words on a page. I could lose myself in a good book, diving down into the swell of words, never to surface again. At home in my own world.

All of the sudden, I am taken out of my daydream by my body telling me to check the time. And thank God I did. If I hadn't caught myself, I would have been late, and I hate being late.

I slide into the living room, where I see my mom in yesterday's clothes, asleep on the couch. Her hair is tucked up into a messy bun and it looks like she's been through hell, because she has. She's a real estate agent, but in her free time, she volunteers at the homeless shelter in Brooklyn. I guess I get my passion for helping others from her. For as long as I can remember, she has busted her ass to give me the best life I could imagine. I try to tell her that it's okay, that I don't need fancy things, but she won't listen. She wants me to have the childhood she grew up with.

I tuck her back into the blanket that has fallen on the floor as she stirs and lets out a little hum. Careful not to wake her up, I tuck a stray piece of hair behind her ear and kiss her on her cheek. I didn't realize it, but a tear rolled down my face. I wipe it away as I go into the kitchen.

I sling my backpack over my shoulder, grab an apple and a granola bar, and put them into my backpack. Then I close the front door, a skip in my step, eager to greet the day ahead.

———————————
A/n- hey guys! I hope you are enjoying the story! Sorry about the cringy writing (I promise it will get better in the next chapters)