Chad, Chad Donovan

The day passes by relatively quickly. School had always been pretty easy for me, as most subjects came easily to me. During math, I zoned out as we were listening to the teacher lecture us about polynomial expressions. I had learned about them when I was 12 by doing my own research. Even though there is a lot going on in my head, I try to stay humble and not flaunt my knowledge. For the most part, I just keep my head down.

During Chemistry, I couldn't help but think about the "web fluid" I had made earlier in the year. It had taken a lot of trial and error, but I found that by mixing glycine and alanine, I could make a nylon-like substance that closely resembled a spiderweb.

The chemistry teacher didn't give us much homework, so once last period was done, we were free. As the bell rang, no one waited for the teachers to dismiss us. We all jumped up and grabbed our backpacks, eager to get out of this hellhole. I took my time, waiting for the overwhelming rush of teenagers to simmer down.

Walking outside, I see Katie waiting for me by the gate, like usual. Towards the beginning of the year, we had decided that instead of trying to find each other in the crowded halls, we would just meet by the gate every day. And every day, we had. I smile as I start walking towards her, but of course, I ran into someone and fell to the hard, hot concrete ground.

I winced as I looked down at my knee, the sight of my own blood frustrating me. 'Really, y/n? Second time today,' I thought, making a mental note to pay more attention.

Brushing myself off, I stood up, and saw who it was that I ran into. Chad Donovan. Thor, even his name sounded pretentious. He was the biggest bully at Midtown, but before he got all stuck up on us, he was my first friend.

"Watch it!" he snarled, turning around. As he realized it was me, he looked me dead in the eyes and said, "Oh, it's just another dumb girl."

Oh, hell no. That was not going to be tolerated. "Wow, Donovan. I've known you for a long time, and you are a lot of things. Now I know a hypocrite is one of them," I say innocently. Turning on my heel, I resume my walk towards Katie.

"What did that douchebag want?" Katie asks as I reach them, glaring in his direction.

"Woah, Katie, calm down. You never swear. What's going on?" I ask, dumbfounded. I've known Katie for almost two years now, and in all that time, I had never heard her swear.

"I just don't like it when people mess with my girl," she answers, putting her arm around my shoulder as we walk out the gates. I laugh as I put my head on her shoulder. I couldn't imagine not having Katie.

As we started walking away from the school, we were talking excitedly about summer that was coming up. Katie had plans to go to the Alps with her parents for an entire month, leaving me with only the other girls to hang out with. Katie's family was wealthy, but she didn't like to focus on that. After all, she was a full blown activist, just like me. The environment, human rights, social justice, feminism, you name it, Katie and I were advocating for it. And we did it hand in hand.

We still had our arms around each others shoulders when out of nowhere, Katie shoots her head up, nearly knocking me out.
"Mel's," she says, her eyes wide. I shoot her a confused, and mildly concerned look, asking her to elaborate.
"We need to go to Mel's! I mean, we haven't been in so long," she says, looking more normal now. I look down, wishing I could go, too.

"I don't have any money," I say, disappointed but trying not to show it. Between helping out my mom with financial things, and buying school lunches, I rarely had spare cash.
She looks at me like I'm flying, raising her eyebrow as if calling me stupid. "What?" I ask her, very confused.

"I'll pay for yours," she says, as if it were the most obvious thing in the world. Katie and I never went places that required money, because I knew that I rarely had any.

"No, Katie, I couldn't ask you to do that. You know I hate it when people pay for me. I always feel bad," I tell her. She sighs and waves her hand as if she were brushing my comment away.

"Y/n, come on. You think I'm going to let you get away with this? No, you're going to Mel's with me, and I am going to pay for your drink," she says as she stops and stares directly at me. I furrow my eyebrows. "You're coming!" She exclaims once more, lightly pushing me forward so we can resume walking. I laugh to myself as I think about how we are both so stubborn.

———————
A/n- Hi guys! I hope you are having a good day, and I am just here to remind you to drink water, eat healthy, and take care of yourself! Ily all and I am always here to chat!
Happy reading!
Evie 💛

I just reread this and I am cringing so hard. Sorry guys. The writing gets better as the story goes on, in my opinion.