Does she know?

Peter's POV

At the end of class, I avoided eye contact with that girl I had met earlier. I was too freaked out to even look at her. What if she knew about me? She was acting so strangely when I just asked her for a pencil, and I had never seen her before today. It just freaked me out.

"Ned!" I called, pushing through the wave of students shoved into the hallway as I spotted my friend up ahead. I had always hated cramped spaces. I saw my friend stop and turn around, a grin across his face as he saw me. He waited for a couple seconds so I could catch up, that way we could walk to Science together.

"Hey, man," he greeted me as we bro-fisted.

"Ned, something really weird just happened." My eyes squinted as I thought about it. On the contrary, though, Ned's eyes grew wide, because whenever I said those words, something usually just happened spidey-wise.

"What happened? Did you lay an egg? You know I'm still not convinced that won't happen," Ned rambled.

"What? No!" I laughed. I took a deep breath to regain my seriousness. "There was this girl in class. I have never seen her before and-"

"Was she pretty? Oooh, Peter's got a cruush. I knew something was up," Ned teased as he interrupted.

"Yeah, I mean no! I mean, yes, she was pretty, no I don't have a crush on her. But that's not the point!" I denied, and yet I felt the all-familiar heat in my cheeks, and I could infer I was at least a little red because of the teasing.
"Well anyway, I turned and I asked her for a pencil, but I swear. She looked at me like- like I was a ghost! She went all white and could barely speak without stuttering," I said as I thought about it.

"Peter, I love you man, but you are dumb as hell," Ned said, shaking his head.

"What?!" That was not the response I was expecting.

"Flustered, nervous, couldn't speak, she probably likes you!"

I furrowed my eyebrows in thought. There was no way, right? I mean, I've never seen her before! How would she already have feelings for me? I admit she was attractive, but you don't get that flustered just by someone's looks. If she did have a crush on me, it wasn't just from that interaction.

"Ned, what if she knows I'm Spider-Man?" I whisper the last part.

"There's no way, man. How would she know? You've never even interacted with her before."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. I should let this go. I mean, it was probably nothing," I concluded. And yet, it was the uncertainty of 'probably' that would keep surfacing in my mind for the rest of the day.