The best sunset ever, Part 2

Peter convinced me to continue up to the top with him, but I made him stay close to me just in case. As he offered me his hand as help once again, I took it. I was careful to watch my footing as I took the last step onto the roof of the mundane-looking brick colored building. As I finally looked up, I saw Peter looking at me. We made eye contact for a brief moment before he turned his head to look out into the distance with a blush.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" He asked, looking into the distance. However, I couldn't take my eyes off of him. The reflection of the setting sun in his eyes was the best view I would ever get. I examined his every feature while he wasn't paying attention. The way his faint freckles peppered his face, the one loose curl that always seemed to fall back down onto his face, the way his face seemed locked in imagination and fascination with the view.

My eyes moved then to the skin's faint memory of a bruise right on his cheek bone, almost completely healed to the point where you wouldn't see it without paying attention. This poor boy was risking his life every night for the sake of the people of Queens. It was humbling to be standing next to this boy, sharing physical space in the universe, while knowing that I'd never experience the same risks that he takes just to help others, and the weighing secret he bares just to keep his loved ones safe.

I saw him glance at me out of the corner of his eye before blushing, knowing with a combination of his Peter Tingle and common sense that I had been looking at him the whole time, but too scared to speak up. "Don't be creepy, Y/n" i think as I turn my head to join him looking at the view. "Well it's too late now, dumb ass."

I ignore the voice in my head while I take in the sight in front of me. Looking out at the view, my heart skipped a beat. In the distance, I saw the skyscrapers and towering buildings of Manhattan, like blades of grass; individually standing out, but together forming a bigger picture. Across the horizon was a sunset like I've never seen before, the sky painted in brush strokes of an art piece. The glow of the sun lit up and shone through the clouds that dotted the sky and the gradient of yellow, orange, pink, then purple and into a darker blue as you gaze upward was breathtaking. The faint honking of car horns on busy streets added to the symphony of senses, all creating a larger moment. It was magical.

As I turned back around to face Peter, he was looking back at me with a fascinated smile. "What?" I asked matching his expression.

"Nothing, the sun is just making your hair look really pretty. Not that it didn't look good before, it just looks really cool now and-"

"Peter," I cut him off, laughing.

"Sorry," he said, seeming kind of annoyed with himself.

"You don't have to apologize, Pete. Thank you for the compliment... and you don't look to bad yourself," I say with a cheeky grin.

"Oh my god. What did I just say? It just slipped out and- ugh. Why am I like this?" I thought while mentally face-planting. I try to put on a cool act, but deep down, I'm just as awkward as Peter when he's talking to a girl. And when I'm with Peter, we'll I'm like putty in his hands.

"Pete?" He asked with a raised eyebrow and an adorable smile. I turned to look up at him, flustered.

"I'm sorry, I don't know why I said that. It was dumb. I can just call you Peter if you don't like it," I rambled, red as a tomato and looking down at the cement roof below me once again.

"No, it's fine," he smiled, looking out at the view. "I like it," he added, very quietly, but I blushed as I heard it.

We had eventually settled down on the edge of the roof, and sat there in silence a bit longer, taking in the view as the yellow in the sky was replaced by deep orange. I started to get cold, though, which was quite unusual for me. Usually I run warm but I guess right now my body betrayed me. Peter, of course, noticed my goosebumps and swung his legs around so they were on the roof.

"You're cold," he stated. I laughed as I swung my legs around too.

"Yes I am," I said, still laughing as Peter joined in. Here we were, sitting on top of a roof in Queens, laughing about nothing in particular. It was great.

"We should get you home. I'm sorry I kept you so long. I'm sure your parents are expecting you." He seemed as though he didn't want me to go, which was a good sign. I really didn't want the night to end, but I didn't want to seem rude if he had to get home and I was the one keeping him.

"Alright, yeah. Sure, and again, no need to apologize. This was perfect... Pete," I smiled at using his new and approved nickname while standing up and brushing off the light rubble that had clung to me.

The last trickle of sunlight cast elongated shadows as Peter and I departed the last step of the dilapidated fire exit, touching solid ground once more. People who are afraid of heights, or have any common sense really, might think I'm crazy for even continuing on after my near-death experience on that very staircase. But, I was able to convince myself that "Peter would never let anything happen to me" pretty easily.