Bonus Chapter: Quid Pro Quo

Author's Note

In celebration of Amazon Prime Video's newest series Panic, I am thrilled to be teaming up with Amazon Prime Video and Wattpad to write this exclusive chapter that puts my characters from this story into the world of Panic!

I hope this chapter intrigues and inspires you to learn more about Panic. Visit the #PanicWritingContest on Wattpad for the chance to put your creative writing chops to the test and learn more about the show!

To find out more about the contest, prizes, and how to enter, check out the #PanicWritingContest here: wattpad.com/AmazonPrimeVideo

Don't forget to watch the series premiere on May 28th, only on Amazon Prime Video, here: http://primevideo.com/

--

Denton rolled down the window of his rental car and inhaled the cool evening air as a shiver ran down his spine. Beyond the mountains on the other side of the valley, the sky glowed orange and red from the setting sun while narrow fingers of white mist spread across the fields below as the fog reclaimed its domain. Parked on the side of the road on a hill overlooking the valley, he had the perfect vantage point of his target, the Spurlock farm.

"I still don't think this is a good idea," Tanner's voice said through the implant behind Denton's ear.

"It doesn't matter, you know that," Denton said with a sigh. He picked up a thermos and took a sip of the warm liquid inside. "Those are the terms. We — I compete in this Panic contest. If I complete this event without being caught, they'll hand us the evidence we need. We just need to get it to Diggins, the guy keeping tab on everything."

"I know." Tanner sighed loudly. "The arrangement makes no sense to me. Panic has no bearing on our case, yet we—"

"I," Denton interrupted and held up his hand in the air.

"Fine. You have to jump through hoops so we can close this case. We're held up by bureaucrats who want to play games."

"Well, with your help, we should be able to knock this out in no time."

"Are we not technically cheating?"

Denton glanced up into the rearview mirror as if to glance at Tanner. Of course, the back seat was empty. Tanner in his current form existed only in servers in orbit around Earth.

"If they make us jump through hoops, I have no problem leveling the playing field a bit to get this done sooner than later."

"If you say so."

"What about my competition?"

"So far, no sign of them."

"Good. I want to get in and out before they show up."

As the sun disappeared behind the mountains, it left a fading orange glow behind. It was time. Denton sighed and slipped the car into gear. He left the headlights off and crept down the hill towards the farm.

"Where is this shed you were telling me about?" Denton said, as he followed the wooden fence that ran alongside the road. As he descended the hill, trees lining the fence obscured the view of the farm.

"Pull over here," Tanner said as Denton approached a curve in the road.

"I don't see it," Denton said as he parked and shut the engine down.

"Of course you don't. It's beyond the trees. Climb the fence."

Denton locked the car, jogged across the road, and scaled the two wooden beams that made up the fence. The outline of the shed appeared almost immediately, its contour visible against the evening twilight. With faded and weather-worn siding and moss-covered shingles, the shed looked like an abandoned building that could collapse at any moment.