Chapter 35 - Revelation

Jonythan stood by the window in the library, bent slightly forward as he leaned on the railing. His eyes were fixed on some distant point within the dome, yet focused on nothing. His face was as calm as the surface of a lake, not a ripple nor motion to betray what lurked beneath. Behind him, around the fireplace, Admiral Hozera, Denton, and Gabi sat quietly, waiting for him to speak. Half a dozen armed guards were positioned against the back wall, rifles ready, also awaiting command. The only sound in the room was the crackling from the logs in the fireplace as the orange flames slowly consumed the Terran wood.

"So tell me, Admiral," Jonythan said with a whisper without turning around, "What was the real purpose of your visit today?"

"I'm not sure I understand..."

Jonythan swiveled on his feet and took a step forward, his hands clasped in front of him. His eyes danced from Gabi to Denton before they settled on the Admiral. Denton had a feeling the only reason their host hadn't already lashed out at the Admiral was because of their friendship. He suddenly found himself immensely grateful that the Admiral had come along.

"You and your intelligence friend Mr. Staxx arrived here with alarming news about my son, how my name might have been compromised and that I may be at risk. You painted a picture that truly alarmed me, my friend. Then," Jonythan said as he gestures towards Gabi, "My daughter is chased through her own home by a foreign intelligence officer for reasons unknown to me, tackled and held to the ground like she's some wanted criminal." Jonythan's voice had gradually risen as he spoke and he spit the last words out one at a time.

Denton, who had remained silent since being apprehended by the security forces and returned to the library under armed guard, gasped audibly and looked at Gabi. Daughter? Gabi was a Forsythe? He felt his mind suddenly spin in a million directions.

"I can explain," the Admiral started, his hand held up, his eyes apologetic.

"I sure hope so, Jakob," Jonythan said as he started pacing back and forth, "Because to me it appears as if you came here under false pretenses and to use our friendship to gain access to my home for reasons you were not willing to share with me." Jonythan stared at the Admiral as he finished. Denton also found himself staring at the Admiral whom he now also knew by his first name.

"Maybe your daughter can shed some light on this," Denton suggested and shot a glance towards Gabi, who avoided his look. She was, after all, the one who was implicated in this whole affair and Denton didn't feel that it was fair that Admiral Hozera should bear the brunt of Jonythan's rage. As if on cue, the Admiral shot him a thankful glance.

Jonythan halted his pacing and turned to Denton. "Gabi? Why on Earth would she be able to explain any of this? Do I need to remind you that she was the one tackled and wrestled to the floor by you?"

"She might know more about this than you think," Denton said slowly with Jonythan's glare now fixed on him. "For starters, I'd love to know what she was doing in the apartment of a missing athlete on Proxima b. Why did she assault me and why did she use diplomatic credentials to evade the authorities? Maybe she could also explain why she became the team lead for the athlete, Jarrell, that is missing?" He paused and glanced at Gabi, who refused to look at him. "Mr. Forsythe, as much as I hate to say it, your daughter is our primary lead in Jarrell's disappearance."

Jonythan's turned to Gabi, his face reddening. "Proxima b?" he said. "You've been on Proxima b?"

"Daddy, I..." Gabi started before she was interrupted by her father.

"You told me you were doing fieldwork on the surface."

"Well, I was."

"For how long? A day? How long were you on Proxima b? What on earth were you doing there anyway?"