Chapter 37 - In Transit

The Forsythe family vessel was beyond anything Denton had ever seen. Narrow and long like the tip of an arrow, it was a ship built for speed and maneuverability yet it was large enough to allow for travel between solar systems and large enough for hundreds of people. Yet, more than just a ship, it was the mobile command post for Jonythan's empire. As they entered the ship, they were greeted by robotic servants as well as Quinsby, who flashed a wide, white smile at them. He then guided them through the various sections of the ship, pointing out architectural elements typically not found on a ship and priceless art that in Denton's opinion had no place in space. Just minutes later, Denton had tuned out the droning voice of Quinsby. He had little interest in the features of the ship. His mind was occupied with more pressing concerns than artwork and arches.

He couldn't shake the feeling that somehow he had crossed paths with the Forsythe's before. Jonythan was familiar, somehow, yet he didn't yet have enough information to put all the pieces of that puzzle together. He didn't even know what questions to ask to fill in the blanks. What bothered him the most was not knowing whether the context of his memory was something he should be concerned about or not.

Gabi's sudden appearance also bothered him. Although he was glad that she was alright, he still grumbled internally about her complete disdain for the law back on Proxima b. It made her look guilty, there was no doubt about that. At the very least, she appeared involved. If she hadn't provided him with so many of the answers, he would have been inclined to arrest her on the spot, regardless of her family.

As their tour took them into Jonythan's private living area on the ship, Quinsby was suddenly called away, leaving Denton, the Admiral and Gabi alone. Denton noticed that the room resembled Jonythan's library. Circular in nature, a fire crackled in a fire pit in the middle. The absence of the smell of wood burning made Denton conclude that the wood or the fire, or both, were artificial in one way or another. Why all the firepits? Around it, four red leather sofas shaped like quarter circles formed a loose circle around the fireplace. Denton plopped down on one of them and let out a sigh.

Straight ahead, the front half of the room provided a majestic view of the outside. He could see the front part of the ship stretching out in front of them, a long triangular shape, pointy at the very tip, not unlike a dagger. He couldn't really tell whether the view was real or projected, but it didn't matter. The designers of the ship obviously had intended to create a room with a view, and they had succeeded. It was as if they sat at the edge of space. Denton could only imagine what it looked like during high-speed travel.

Gabi sat down on the sofa next to him and looked tentatively at him. She sighed deeply, her eyes on the fire. The Admiral sat down on his right, a glass already in hand from one of the attentive robo-servers. He leaned back, sipped on his brew and closed his eyes, traces of a smile on his face. He was taking advantage of a few minutes downtime, that was clear.

"You know, I didn't mean to cause so much trouble," Gabi said, breaking the silence, her eyes still on the fire. "When I ran into you in Jarrell's apartment, I panicked. I didn't know what to do, and when I did what I did, well, there was no turning back."

"You could have stopped," Denton said.

"I know, I know, but that's easier said than done when you're running, when you're scared."

"What were you scared of?"

"Of being caught. I didn't want to embarrass my family. I didn't know who I could trust."

"Not even me, after what we went through? Wasn't it obvious that I had Jarrell's best interest at heart? I did launch myself from space to the ground in a Descent pod to save him, after all. Or did I dream that whole thing?"