Chapter 28 - A Clue

"Carter Forsythe? I don't think so," Denton said. "Should it?"

"Wait a minute," Sidney said, "You don't know who Carter Forsythe is? The mining mogul? Surely he's got operations as far-flung as Proxima b?"

"Doesn't ring a bell. Leah?"

"I'm afraid not. Then again, mining isn't my specialty."

Sidney laughed. "Mining is only the beginning, my friends. Forsythe and his father have their fingers in almost everything, in one way or another. Mining, tourism, retail, technology, government, manufacturing. Yeah, man, they're everywhere. They have a lot of, well, let's just say influence."

"Forsythe, Forsythe," Denton said slowly as something stirred in his mind. "Something does sound familiar about that name, now that I think about it. I just can't put my finger on it." He paused momentarily to let his mind explore the far corners of his memory, but nothing stood out. "Well, either way, it looks like we need to pay him a visit. Tanner, I need you to look up Carter Forsythe."

"Forsythe, Carter. Got it. Please stand by."

Denton turned to Sidney. "What else can you tell us about this Carter?"

Sidney shrugged and leaned back. "Not a whole lot. He is a ruthless little guy, thinks he owns the world just because his daddy does. I've never met him, but some of my...eh, colleagues have. Nobody likes him, but you don't tell him no, you know. Not if you want to live to see another day."

Denton glanced over at Leah who nodded back in agreement. Carter Forsythe sounded like a man who would be capable of setting off a disaster just because he was jealous.

"I think daddy isn't too fond of him either," Sidney continued.

"Why's that?"

"Well, why else send your only son to a hellhole like Mars?" Sidney laughed. "Obviously, he wanted him out of the way."

Denton shot Leah another glance just as his earpiece crackled to life. "Alright, Denton, I've found him."

"Let me guess. He's on Mars."

There was a momentary silence before Tanner responded. "As a matter of fact, yes. Or, at least, his office is located on Mars. I see no records of him returning to Earth recently, so it's likely that he's there. I can't be sure. The wealthier they are, the harder they are to keep track of. They come and go as they see fit. Private shuttles and all that."

Denton sighed. He had no desire to return to Mars anytime soon. He was also confident that Leah felt the same way. He had a feeling it was unlikely the locals would cooperate with their search for Carter.

"Of course, you can always go see daddy Forsythe," Sidney suggested.

"Daddy Forsythe?"

"Yeah, Forsythe Industries is headquartered right here on Earth."

"Tanner, can you locate the Forsythe Industries headquarters on Earth?" Denton said immediately, his eyes on Sidney.

"Forsythe Industries HQ. Give me a second."

"So tell me something, Sidney," Denton said as he sat down across from their captive. "You're quite the talker. Why should I believe anything you say? It's like you're trying to get rid of us. Hm? Tell us a story of some place that's anywhere but here, just so we'll get out of your hair?"

Leah, who had gone over to the window, suddenly waived for Denton. "Either that, or he's been stalling for time. You need to come take a look at this."

"What is it?" Denton said and walked over to Leah's spot behind a curtain.

"I don't think those guys are out for an afternoon stroll in the park. I think they know we're here."