8│The Escape

Still, the hallway was empty. Which, after snooping through a Mafia Leaders head office, was definitely ideal.

At least for me anyway.

Something was niggling at the back of my head, why on earth was it so empty? Where could everyone be? I knew that I wasn't nearly important enough to receive everyone's daily schedules or at least be liked enough to have a message sent my way about their location.

I remembered the phone in my pocket, I suppose if it meant that much to me, I could text one of them. Probably Alexei since he seemed to be the nicest.

I pulled it out and turned it on. My finger lingered over the message button. But then, sense hit me and instead, I turned off my location tracker. Chances were that they would get a notification about that too, but if everything had aligned for me, hopefully, they would get the notifications by the time I was gone and out the door.

I felt clueless as I moved through the hallways, I had no idea where I was going, relying on the small tour that I had received upon my arrival and the rest on pure instinct. I figured I was towards the back of the house, meaning if I could make my way forward, what were the chances that I could get to the front door?

But that's not where I was trying to get to. No, I wanted somewhere nearby, perhaps an entrance room or a closet. Anything that had a window. Going through the front door was too obvious and not only that, it was practically the most visible way that I could get out. I was practically begging to be caught. So when I finally stumbled into the massive entrance hall, I looked unbothered as I just kept walking forward, keeping the uncontrollable glee suppressed as to keep my cover. I knew there had to be security cameras somewhere, I suppose I was just hoping that no one was watching right now.

It was almost perfect, as if I had already walked this house a million times.

I walked into a room two doors down, completely bare and empty as if it could be some sort of bedroom. But perfectly placed were three windows, each taking up a third of the back wall.

I went up to one of them, tugging on the small latch that sat at the bottom of the sill. Immediately, the window popped open. I braced myself, waiting for the blaring alarms. Nothing, just silence.

My heart started to race, this was it, this was happening, my opportunity of escape was here.

I grabbed the wall and pulled my leg up, searching my foot on the ledge before pulling my other leg up. I stood there, completely still for just a moment before jumping down, hissing slightly as my feet smacked down against the hard soil.

I pressed myself back against the wall that I had just jumped from. I looked around, and there was not one guard standing front in the entirety of the front yard. I scoffed, it seemed that Luciano wasn't as powerful and rich as he thought.

I was going to get out through the side gates. While the gaps in between each fence pole weren't overly large, I figured maybe if I sucked my stomach in and went slowly, I could get through without too much trouble. I turned my body sideways and took a large breath, retracting every muscle in my body. I slid one leg through first, firmly planting my foot on the ground. Then, I poked my head through, tilting my shoulders to move them through before the sharp feeling of metal popped against my skin. Now, it was all about my hips. I used a similar technique to my shoulders, twisting my hips at an angle as to squeeze it through bit by bit. I started to get frantic, if even one person decided to do so much as look out a window, I would be caught. Hell, chances were someone had looked out a window, seen me and were now running down to prevent me from escaping.

I just didn't know.

I gritted my teeth and tugged harder, and just like that, my hips were through, making it easy to slid my left leg out of the fence, leaving me completely open onto the other side.