13│Phone Calls

I spent at least half the morning dry-heaving over the toilet bowl. I was grateful that at some point last night, I had managed to braid my hair, meaning that now, it wasn't caked the disgusting liquid coming from my mouth. In a spare moment, I had managed to tie the braid into a bun, the tightness of it now adding a headache to my already ailing condition.

I had been here for who knows how long, all I could see was the bottom of the bowl and all I could hear was the sound of my own retching.

"So, you were drunk drunk last night?" I heard a voice say from behind me.

I spat out another bit of Flem, "What?"

I turned my head, just to see Luciano standing over me, his white shirt unbuttoned from the top and a think black belt securing his pants.

He bent down, inching slightly closer to me. "Well, you looked fucked up last night, though I must admit I wasn't really paying attention. Solomon came over and let me know this morning just how drunk you had gotten, though knowing you I didn't really believe it. But by the smell of the room, I'm guessing you've been in here for a while."

I groaned, feeling my stomach starting to bubble again. "Yeah, I had a bit to drink."

Luciano sat down on the floor, leaning against the wall so that he was facing me completely. "And why was that Tesoro?"

My eyes were still red and blurry, and I felt tears start to form, though I blinked them back. "Because I know alcohol, I work with it, I know that it's a distraction. And I needed it. I thought maybe if I drank enough, I could just forget about everything that's happening around me."

I heard him sigh, "Am I going to have to listen to another rampant of wanting to go home? Because I can't be bothered with that Ida, I don't have the time."

I narrowed my eyes, "Are you lying to me? About being in the Mafia? I mean, you certainly look the part but I haven't seen anything that backs it up. Just a few sketchy meetings and people that apparently have jobs to do and need to come in and check with you."

Luciano raised his brow, "You doubt the legitimacy of you actually being in the presence of the Mafia?"

"Yes? Is that not what I just say? You have the accent, the heritage, the dark features and the tattoos everywhere that the eye can see, but I haven't seen a single gun, I haven't seen any proof of wealth other than this house which seriously could be from anywhere. I haven't seen any drugs or weapons, anything! Nada! I have no proof!" I explained, my voice getting louder and louder with every word that I said.

Luciano didn't move, though his expression hardened. "Because no matter how special or important you think you are Ida, you're a civilian. There is a reason I had you placed in my personal wing, and that's because the business of this mafia doesn't come into this area. The reason you haven't seen any drugs or weapons because I've been putting way too much fucking effort in making sure that you don't see it-"

He was cut off by another round of bile came tunnelling out, I made it quick, wiping my mouth with toilet paper before immediately biting back.

"So what, I'm too weak to fully understand the situation I'm in?" I bit back snarkily.

Luciano's nostrils flared, "Yes. I don't want some sticky-beak waitress seeing bullets being put through their head and half of my men doing drugs in the back room. I don't want it."

I gulped, "I already have seen those things though! I watched you kill a guy right in front of me remember? That being the whole reason that I'm here? So yeah, I haven't seen anything since then, so I'll believe whatever the hell I want!"