Nightmares

THIRD PERSON POV

Violet had a pretty good day. All she wished was a good night sleep, free from nightmares.

But of course, nightmares were not ready to leave her alone. And she woke up, gasping for air. She looked around and was relieved to know that no one was around to see her that way.

Broken. Vulnerable. Sad.

She looked at the time.

2:00 am.

Seriously.

She slowly tiptoed towards the kitchen, not wanting to wake anyone up.

All she wanted was to drink water, but ended up having cereal.

She didn't know what to do, because she was sure no matter how hard she tries, she wont be able to sleep.

Finally, she decided to back to her room. While doing so, she heard some voices.

She looked around, scared. She thought she was imagining things, so she decided not to pay any attention and move forward.

While passing through Gio's room, she heard small whimpers.

She stopped in her tracks.

She again thought she was imagining things and wanted to move ahead and go back to her room, but then again she heard someone say, from Gio's room.

"No, please don't."

The voice was so small.

She thought of entering the room, but then she thought that she might overstep her boundaries.

So she backed away. But then again she heard him say, this time a little louder.

"Please, don't leave me."

This time the voice was clear.

Violet forgot all about her boundaries and entered the room.

What she saw broke her heart.

Gio, with a pained expression, tears streaming down his face, tossing and turning, continuously repeating 'no'.

Violet immediately was now beside him trying to wake him.

"Gio, wake up." She said shaking him, yet all he did was, saying 'no'.

"Please, leave her alone." Gio said in his sleep.

And then suddenly he woke up, breathing heavily. Beads of sweat trickling down his forehead. He closed his eyes for a moment, before opening it again to see Violet looking at him with concern.

He felt embarrassed. He didn't want her to think he was weak. He turned his away, trying to look away from her, but Violet attacked him with a hug. This surprised Gio, but soon he buried his face in the crook of her neck. He could now feel himself calm down, knowing that Violet was now safe.

"You are safe. You are here" Gio mumbled to himself.

Violet broke the hug, and looked at him concerned.

"Are you okay?"

Gio nodded in response.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

He shook is head, saying muttering a small no.

They just sat there in silence, which Gio decided to break.

"Why were you up so late?" He asked, in a small voice.

Violet debated whether to tell him or not, before answering.