Twenty

Upon Cosette's return to the Travers mansion, the party had concluded and all the guests had left. She hadn't realize how long she had actually been gone, but it was well after midnight.

     Christmas Day.

     As she snuck through the front door, it reminded her of her teenage years when she would sneak out with her friends until the early hours of the morning. Even though she was grown, she still feared being scolded by her father if he had stumbled upon her sneaking up to her bedroom past curfew.

     So far, so good. The hallways were empty and she assumed everyone had already turned in for the night. Once she had successfully snuck into her bedroom, she closed the door and immediately began undressing to get out of the uncomfortable dress she had been forced to wear for the entire evening. As she began undoing the buttons, she nearly jumped out of her skin when a sultry voice spoke.

     "Would you like some assistance?"

     Cosette sharply inhaled and spun around to pinpoint the source of the voice. Tom Riddle was standing in the corner of her bedroom, near her bookshelf with an open book in his hand. He had a smug look on his face, and a smirk playing at the corner of his mouth as he looked at Cosette. 

     Her cheeks flushed red, as she attempted to hold up the loose dress to cover herself. "What the hell are you doing in my bedroom?!"

     He snapped the book shut with one hand and placed it back on her bookshelf, smirk still plastered to his face, before taking slow strides towards her. He was still wearing the suit he had worn to the party, sans mask.

     "You know, Cosette, you really should be more aware of your surroundings," he mused confidently, still slowly gliding towards her. She remained frozen, unable to speak until he was inches from her face, completely mesmerized by his aura. "You never know who could be lurking in the shadows."

     Her mouth went dry, and she swallowed hard before formulating a response. "I shouldn't have to worry about creeps watching me while I undress."

     "Oh please," he jested, "if I see something I've never seen before then I'll let you know."

     His forwardness affronted her, but he paid her no mind as he turned away and started meandering through her room again, examining her belongings, pretending to be interested. 

     "Where've you been?" he asked casually. His demeanor reminded her vaguely of Henry. 

     "I had to get out for a minute," she replied.

     "Hmm," was his only response as he picked up a crystal ball sitting on her desk, examined it and placed it back down.

     "Apologies, I wasn't informed that I was to report every single one of my whereabouts to you," she retorted, still clutching her dress, wishing he would leave so she could change.

     Tom shook his head. "It's just a shame. I was looking forward to spending more time with you tonight. But, you clearly had other things on your mind."

     "My brother knows Gabriel and I are up to something," she blurted out, trying to steer the conversation away from what truly was on her mind. "He warned me to stop conspiring against him."

     Tom looked up at her. "He threatened you?"

     She shrugged her shoulders. "Not in so many words."

     He furrowed his brow and slowly strode over towards her once again, hands in his pockets. "Does he know about the Vow?"

     She placed her index finger over her lips, gesturing for him to not say another word. Tom quirked an eyebrow.