Thirty-Two

Tom weighed his options. He could depart for Albania now and begin his search for the Diadem or he could continue his hunt for Cosette Travers. Perhaps once he had the Diadem, he could resume his search for Cosette and the locket. But, something inside him was telling him the longer he waited to search for Cosette, the further away she would get and he could not risk letting her get away.

Although, the longer he let Cosette roam free, the more careless she could become, meaning it would be easier for him to find her.

"I will kill her," Tom muttered under his breath as he turned Helga Hufflepuff's cup over in his hand.

"Sorry, my lord?" asked Abraxas.

Tom cut his eyes up at Abraxas, but did not respond. The two men were sitting in Abraxas' study in Malfoy Manor. Tom couldn't help but to think about what happened in the upstairs bedroom the last time he was here with Cosette.

"Any news on Laurent Travers?" asked Tom, changing the subject leaning back in Abraxas' chair.

"We believe he is making his way back to France," said Abraxas. "He has gained more followers during his travels and is building up his army. His family is still hidden somewhere in Switzerland."

"Any sign of the girl?"

Abraxas looked up. "I – I thought you were looking for the girl, My Lord."

Tom rolled his eyes in frustration. "I am. However, the bitch has given me the slip and her trail has gone cold. It's as if she's disappeared from the face of the earth."

"Well, as far as I know, she hasn't attempted to make contact with her family," said Abraxas. "I occasionally keep in touch with Gabriel, as he thinks we are still allies."

"That's good," said Tom. "But not good enough."

"Would you like me to arrange a search party?" asked Abraxas.

"No," he said clasping his hands underneath his chin as he leaned forward. "That would be too obvious. I need to know more about her. More about her past... places she would be likely to visit or to hideaway at..."

"I can write to Gabriel and try to pry some information out of him," suggested Abraxas, "however, that could cause a riff. He might begin to catch on and realize we're after her."

"It's worth the risk," said Tom. "Besides, Gabriel is as good as dead anyway. He won't kill Laurent before the end of the summer."

Abraxas gave Tom a curt nod and exited the study leaving Tom alone with his thoughts.

It had been four days since he murdered Hepzibah Smith. The house elf was found guilty of murder, thanks to Tom. No one had even suspected him. He had also quit his job and Borgin and Burkes and kept his whereabouts on the low. The last thing he needed was suspicious people poking into his business. He only wanted to focus on two things right now. Cosette, and his Horcruxes. Only, he couldn't quite figure out which one of those to prioritize.

He leaned back in the chair again and ran his fingers quickly through his hair in frustration. He was feeling on edge and he didn't like it. It was not a feeling that he was used to. Everything in his life was going swimmingly until Cosette Travers walked into his life. Now, he was having all of these unknown and conflicting emotions.

Why hadn't he just killed her the many times he had the chance? What was it about that girl that made him so crazy? It was driving him mad and he needed some way to release his frustration.

He let his thoughts wander a little further than he would have liked. He thought about her soft skin, and the way it felt pressed up against his lips. He thought about her body and the way her pale skin seemed to glow in the moonlight. He pictured her naked and his hands running against her skin, feeling every dip and curve of her body. He thought about her eyes, and the way they locked onto his when she was on the brink of an orgasm. The way her body released, clenching around him as they both reached their peaks simultaneously.