Thirty-Seven

Abraxas, Tom and Cosette stood at the entrance of the Malfoy Manor dungeons. The door was still locked, and Laurent Travers sat on the other side of the metal bars. The air was cold and damp, and unlike the rest of the manor, the floor was covered in dust and grime. Idly, Cosette wondered how many prisoners had to live behind those bars, let alone how many died behind them.

Tom nudged Cosette's arm, ensuring she was okay. She gave him a small reassuring smile, unsure of how she was truly feeling. She had no desire to speak to her father, let alone see him. But, she knew she needed to talk to him sooner or later. She needed to know how many followers he obtained during his travels. She needed the names. And lastly, she needed her father's surrender.

Abraxas pulled out his wand and released the security enchantments so they could get inside. Cosette was hesitant at first, but she did not want her father to sense her hesitation and she stepped forward.

"I'll be with you the whole time," said Tom, reassuring her.

She gave him a curt nod and walked further into the dungeon. Out of the darkness, she could see a silhouette of a man sitting in the corner. She knew it was Laurent. Abraxas had told her his wand had been confiscated, so there was no way he would be able to harm her. At least, not with magic.

"What a lovely pendant," croaked Laurent, his voice hoarse and raspy. As her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she could see how filthy and disheveled he was. She scowled at him in disgust and ignored his comment about the locket.

"I didn't come here to catch up," she replied. Laurent's gaze finally met her eyes. Tom and Abraxas stayed back but flanked Cosette on either side.

"I always knew you'd be the one to betray me," he said, "only I hoped I could beat you into submission, as I did your mother. You're just like her."

"I'm nothing like her," she denied. "She was no mother to me. A mother protects her children. She didn't protect any of us."

Laurent laughed, but it sounded more like a wheeze and then turned into a coughing fit. He looked extremely ill. Cosette thought it wouldn't be so terrible if Laurent died down here.

"Are you kidding?" he asked, "Look at you. You stand before me, seeking protection from a man who is exactly like me."

His eyes flickered to Tom who's expression was stern and cold. 

"Tom is nothing like you," spat Cosette. 

"Oh really?" chided Laurent. "Nothing like me, you say? He's never hit you, or... called you demeaning names? He's never hurt you? Not once?"

Cosette's memories flashed before her. She could hear her arm when Tom snapped it. She felt her legs nearly give out when he directed the killing curse at her. She didn't even have the chance to respond to her father before he spoke again.

"See," he said, with a huge cheshire cat grin on his face, "you are your mother's daughter."

Cosette clenched her jaw. She wasn't going to give this monster what he wanted.

"You don't know the first thing about Tom," she protested. "He's different now."

Laurent laughed again. "Nobody changes that much, Cosette. Your boyfriend is using you to get what he wants. Gaining your trust with gifts and jewelry. And you're falling for it. I told you months ago this would happen."

"You have no idea what you're talking about, old man," said Tom menacingly. He had meant to let Cosette do all the talking, but he wasn't about to stand here and let Laurent Travers tarnish his name. "I suggest you keep your mouth shut before I pull your teeth out one by one."