Twenty-Five

Cosette sat in an armchair in Abraxas Malfoy's study as she awaited news in regards to Henry. Although she was comfortable, she was not at ease. Her thoughts whirled in her head as she mindlessly chewed on her fingernails and stared into the fireplace like a zombie. 

Gabriel was pacing back and forth, which only caused Cosette's anxiety to grow, but she said nothing, not wanting to break the pregnant silence that filled the room. Tom was sitting behind Malfoy's desk with his elbows atop it and his fingers laced together with his thumbs underneath his chin. He too appeared to be deep in thought.

But all Cosette could focus on right now was Henry. No part of their plan could have foreseen this. Henry was not supposed to be caught in the crossfire. It was only supposed to be Gabriel and herself. Henry wasn't the one who was supposed to get hurt. He was the one who was supposed to be saved. He was the last person Laurent Travers was supposed to attack. But he did.

Perhaps, they should have seen this coming. They knew that Laurent would be mad once he realized all of his children had turned against him. But not once did it ever cross Cosette's mind that he would use magic as a weapon. He never had before, at least against his children. She shuddered, feeling the ghost of the Cruciatus Curse in her veins, but at the same time felt guilty, because Henry was the one hit with the Expulso Curse. Henry was the one who was currently fighting for his life. She'd take another Cruciatus Curse if it meant her brother would no longer be in pain. She'd do anything for him. Gabriel too.

She looked up at the clock on Malfoy's desk. It was nearly two in the morning, yet she was wide awake. She wasn't sure when she was actually ever going to be able to sleep again. With her father's disappearance, she had no idea how safe they were. She did not want to leave London, but she knew she couldn't risk staying there by herself. Her family needed to go somewhere they would be safe, which was easier said than done. It would be a difficult task trying to convince Alora Travers to leave her home.

The sound of the door clicking open caused Cosette to rise to her feet. Lysithea and Abraxas entered, wearing solemn expressions. Her heart pounded in her ears, waiting for them to speak. It felt as if many minutes passed before Abraxas spoke.

"He's going to be okay."

Cosette exhaled sharply in relief, not realizing she had been holding her breath. Gabriel darted towards Cosette and embraced her in a hug as the siblings thanked the heavens that their brother was going to be alright.

"Can we see him?" asked Cosette, pulling away from Gabriel.

"Yes," answered Lysithea, "but he's weak and needs rest. We've set him up in one of our guest bedrooms. I can take you to him."

Cosette and Gabriel followed Lysithea out the room and down the hallway. Abraxas stood in the doorway, watching Tom carefully trying to gauge his reaction.

"Are you alright, my lord?" asked Abraxas.

Tom's gaze flickered to Abraxas as he lowered his hands. "Of course."

"It's been quite a long evening," said Abraxas, stepping forward but keeping a good distance. He knew better than to assume equal status to Tom. "You and the Travers family are more than welcome to stay for the evening."

"I assume Henry is not well enough to travel," said Tom. He didn't phrase it as a question.

"Not for another day or so, at least. He lost quite a bit of blood and his insides were torn to pieces. It'll take some time for him to heal, but my wife is a profound Healer. He's in better hands here than at St. Mungo's."

Tom nodded but did not say anything. He stood and rounded the desk so he was standing in front of Abraxas, no barrier in between them. He leaned back casually against the dark wood of the desk and crossed his arms.