.8

The alarm went off.

Her eyes snapped open.

She never was a heavy sleeper anyway. Her circumstances didn't allow her to be. Emma had trained her mind to be alert at all the time. To never ignore even the slightest of noise.

Sitting up she stifled a yawn and quickly made a a messy bun out of her long hair while her eyes flickered towards the wall clock.

8:00 AM

She barely slept for two hours straight. Her sleep was always in turmoil. . .as if her heart knew anything could happen anytime. .she couldn't recall the last time she slept in peace.

Her guards were always up.

"At least mom will be home."

Emma got up and went towards the door, unlatching it—her hand stilled for a moment.

It suddenly hit her.

What had her life become into?

What had it turned into? What had she turned into? A squeaky rat waiting for it's turn to be pounced on?

And it wasn't the first time she asked herself. .

How long till everything collapses around her?

××××××××××××××

Emma peeked in the kitchen.

It was. .empty.

Empty meant . .safe.

Sighing, she stepped in. Her stomach growled impatiently. Waiting to be served.

She turned on the stove and went towards the fridge. Guess she was going to make some pasta . .

Emma bent down slightly , taking in the contents of the fridge. Her heart dipped in disappointment. There was nothing much to play around with. Some veggies and frozen pizza. No pasta. The day she gets her paycheck she was going to buy—

"Like the position you're at."

The second she heard the voice, she snatched back from the fridge —almost hitting her head in the process— her eyes going wild — pupils dilating with sheer terror.

His eyes filled up with unkempt desire, watching her step back in a haphazard manner.

"I love  this—," His tongue swiped across his bottom lip. . reminding her of a salivating dog. "This thing in your eyes. The fear. . .it turns me on." His voice sinked into a dirty whisper.

"I don't—i don't fear you." Venom laced each word. Hate filled every cell in her body.

A chilling smile spread on his face.

She never feared him but right now she did. Emma clenched her hands into fists. Her heart rate spiking up . .lips chapped up. .she felt trapped!

The escape route was right behind him. And he noticed her harassed eyes shifting from him to the door.

"Looks like your saviour lost his way . . awwww. ." His sinister voice turned her insides cold with dread.

Instantly she took a step back.

"Don't you dare!" She raised her index finger in warning.

"Oops! Your hand is shaking." He smirked at her trembling hand. Emma snatched back her hand as if it caught fire.

"You can't escape me , my little Lolita." He stepped in one long stride. .so close to her. One step and he would be in her face . He could see the stark fear on her face. .the disbelief of what was about to occur."At least I got you, my beautiful step daughter." He closed in and Emma's back hit the marble shelf of the kitchen.