The sun shifted just above my window, allowing the light to flow through the crevice of my curtains. I rolled to the side, hoping to ignore the distraction for as long as possible. As my eyes began to droop heavily, my mind slipping into an unconscious state, the sound of my mothers walking pulled me from my wanted slumber. As her feet hit the wood, the pattern of her steps alerted me that she was coming into my room. Her feet hit the carpet, hand reaching over my bed and opening the curtain fully. She placed a kiss on my cheek, muttered her goodbyes and I love you's, and headed off to work like usual.

Groaning, I reached over to my phone and opened the screen, scrolling aimlessly through my apps. Lazily, I scrolled into TikTok, allowing my mind to wander into an abyss of 15 second videos. As any teen would, I ended up staying in this position for hours.

As I checked the clock, which read 11:11 like usual, I lifted myself from bed and headed into the kitchen. Unknown to my parents, I was actually a terrible cook. I have never truly been able to make anything more than a bagel or cereal, so today I decided on keeping the kitchen safe. Pouring my cereal, I reached for my phone again to respond to any messages from the day.

I'm 16, on break from school, and quite honestly incredibly bored out of my mind. I find that the days seem to always be the same, lapping in patterns that are incredibly similar and yet I find myself trapped inside a version of Groundhog Day.

I shuffled into the living room, balancing the bowl of cereal in one hand and my phone in the other, reaching across the recliner for the remote. I clicked the on button, allowing myself to become immersed in whatever television show happened to be on. I stayed like that, rocking and chomping on my cereal, until the last drop of milk was gone.

Throwing the bowl in the sink, I watched from the kitchen window as the mail carrier drove up from the neighbors driveway, making its way to our open mailbox. The women placed a handful of letters in the box, shut the small door, and drove off towards the following house along our street.

Considering it was May, I figured throwing on shoes for the walk down my hill of a driveway was useless, and was met with the decision to go barefoot. Opening the front door, I was immediately greeted by the wiz of a hummingbird, which landed in the feeder as I hopped down the few steps leading from my porch.

The day was warm, as summer in New England had officially begun. I felt as though as the days became warmer, my ability to want to change routine became inevitable. I usually didn't get the mail, though, and felt that this action was enough to change the pattern I have been in.

Opening the mailbox, my eyes scanned over the many bills that I paid no attention to. Deciding the rest was probably the same, I waited until I returned into my house to shuffle through the remainder of the mail.

One envelope caught my attention, as it had an England stamp across the front and appeared to be handwritten, from the front and all. I found that rather odd, as mail communication has become quite rare. Flipping over the letter, I found that not only was it addressed to me, but it had no return sender. Curiosity got the best of me, and I greedily ripped open the letter only for a rough slip of paper to fall out.

The letter was written in black ink, making my original opinion of the mail seem quite sound. Not only was the packaging quite strange, but the letter only had one thing written upon it.

1:11.

I furrowed my eyebrows and reached back into the envelope, as something hard was also inside. Upon inspection, the object appeared to be a white queen from an old chest set, and sat comfortably in my palm.

Glancing over to the television box, which read the time, I saw that it was currently 1:09. Holding onto the piece, I made my way back into my room, shut the door, and laid down against my covers.

Rolling the check piece in my hand, I glanced at the clock in my room again, only to see 1:11 and everything around me began to blur. I stood, trying to rid my head of the sudden take of nausea, but found myself falling to the ground. Everything around me spun, until I felt my back hit the wetness of grass and everything around me became dark.