Twenty Three

Tengen never thought he'd say it, but he kind of hates being single at the moment.

It was something he never in his lifetime imagined he'd be feeling, but sitting in front of all his friends, who now are all conveniently dating, he suddenly feels extremely left out.

Before it was easier, since the only two who were bumping uglies and being extremely open about it were Obanai and Mitsuri, but now Tengen found himself in a sea of lovesick fools. He wonders maybe if he's just skipped this lunch, had instead gone about his morning instead of heading to where Mitsuri told him everyone was meeting for lunch.

He had been, as always, the first to arrive, and so he did what he always did. Go inside whatever rundown local haunt they were meeting at this time, sit, and wait for his boring and rather unflamboyant friends to arrive.

They were always so predictable, or so he thought, and he always knew who would show up when. The first pair was Mitsuri and Obanai just as predicted. Obanai had a kink for being on time, and while they were always a few minutes late because of Mitsuri, they were always second to get there besides Tengen himself.

Next was always Kyojuro, which was usually his saving grace. Kyojuro Rengoku, his best friend since middle school and who he liked to call his platonic soulmate. He knew they were destined to stay friends forever, and he also loves being around him. At the sight of his flamboyant hair and wide smile, Tengen always finds himself perking up, his stomach turning excitedly at the sight of him.

Tengen gets lost in their conversation, almost so much so he barely even notices when his next prediction arrives. Of course it's Sanemi, though curiously today he had someone new with him. And that's when the trouble began.

Tomioka sat perched on the back of grouchy friends motorcycle as they pulled up in the parking lot in front of the diner, visible through the front windows, and as Sanemi shut off his bike and the two got up, Tengen noticed Tomioka wearing both Sanemi's jacket and sweatshirt underneath.
Mitsuri gasped from where she sat in front of him at the sight, all four of them noting the two holding hands as they walked into the diner with big smiles on their faces, laughing secretly to one another.

Tengen was pleasantly surprised as he watched Sanemi kiss the back of Tomioka's hand, and he smirked at them as they walked up. They were barely paying attention to anyone but themselves, clearly in a honeymoon stage after all of their useless pining that everyone had tried desperately to ignore all the time.
Quite frankly, it was exhausting, and just for the pleasure of releasing Tengen from his torture he decides to spare them the teasing, at least for the time being.

Of course, Mitsuri is all over them as soon as they sit down, mouth running a mile a minute. Tengen listens as they tell the harrowing tale of their whirlwind romance, snickering and bumping Kyo's shoulder as Mitsuri pouts at Obanai for not telling her what he knew sooner.

Of course the final three(or Tengen supposes it's two now) to arrive are Urokodaki and Kocho. Tengen isn't expecting much when he sees them besides the both of them acting like their normal, tense selves, but his world is throw off orbit when they walk in and Urokodaki has an arm thrown over Kocho's shoulder, nuzzling his nose in her hair while she tries to bat him away playfully, waving casually at Mitsuri.

The shriek Mitsuri let out was almost unholy.

And now he's here, sitting around a table of friends and listening to the flamboyant tales of heartbreak and romance from the four most dramatic people he's ever met. And he's met himself.

Urokodaki smirks across the table, his arm wrapped around the back of Kocho's seat as he raises a brow at Tomioka, motioning to the window beside them and out at Sanemi's motorcycle.