[Part 2] Chapter 12 {The Picnic}

It was a warm, sunny, and truly whimsical day at Walden Pond... Jo, Meg, Beth, Amy, Laurie, and I were going to a picnic with Laurie's friends from school that came down to visit... Earlier that morning I had decided to wear a dress that was more fitting for the warm weather this spring, it was a lilac color with white lace, white tights that were sure to get a little dirty, my brown leather boots, and a woven sun hat to tie the look together. The girls and I wanted to make a good first impression for Laurie's friends...

Speaking of Laurie, we're doing quite well actually... Around two months have passed since our conversation on where we stand in our relationship. We agreed to wait a little longer on our courtship because I wanted to wait for Father's response letter. I had sent one to him around a month ago about our blossoming relationship and Marmee even wrote a small portion of the letter explaining her approval of Laurie, but he hasn't sent a response yet. But that didn't stop us from casually flirting, innocent hand-holding, and little pecks that mostly come from him, with Marmee's approval of course... And I've noticed that Laurie has truly shown his care for me in a way that warms my heart. He's more attentive, affectionate, and overall more romantic now, and it has me very excited for our future and my hopes for Father's approval.

The girls, Laurie, and I laughed as we ran down the hill towards the pond where his other friends were waiting to board the boats.

Laurie and Amy went ahead while Meg, Beth, Jo, and I walked a little slower. Meg was out of breath when she spoke, "When Laurie said his visitors were English, I thought It would all be very smart and formal. I even bought new gloves. " "Give them to me, I'm going back to sit by the hampers. " Beth piped up as she took Meg's gloves. "You're going to sit? I can stay with you if you want. " I offered before Beth shook her head and winked, "No, you should be with your sweet and special friend, Eliza. " My cheeks flushed and they laughed before Mr. Brooke spoke to Meg. "And which ensign do you sail under, Miss Margaret? The Union Jack or the Union Flag? " I smirked as they continued the conversation and whispered to Beth and Jo, "I think someone else has a special friend too! " We all giggled before parting ways, Beth went to sit on the shore while Jo climbed into the boat with one of Laurie's other friends who took a seat by the oars.

One of his friends who I hadn't met yet walked over to me with a smirk on his face. "Hello Miss, what might your name be? " I smiled sweetly and said, "Eliza March, and you? " "Fred Orion at your service. " He bowed to me and I confusingly giggled. "Would you like to accompany me on the Union Jack boat? " Fred asked while he held his hand on the small of my back and guided me towards the boat, before I could decline his offer because I was quite uncomfortable, Laurie walked over and gave me a peck on the cheek. My face flushed and my eyes widened as he softly whispered in my ear, "Go with it. " He pulled away and Fred was taken aback by his gesture. "Laurie? What has gotten into you? You know better than to kiss another gentleman's date! " Fred said with a scowl as I felt the pressure increase on my back, I gave a pleading look to Laurie, and he raised an eyebrow. "Oh, your date? Well, it just so happens that I am courting Miss Eliza and she is to accompany me on the Union Flag. " Laurie confidently said as he moved Fred's lingering hand that was on my back, replaced it with his hand around my waist that gently guided me to stand next to him. I softly sighed in relief and comfort as Fred's face turned a bright red. "Oh... I-I umm... My apologies Miss Eliza. " He said nervously as he quickly walked to the other boat. I looked up at Laurie and he winked at me and we giggled together, "Thank you, he didn't even let me respond to his offer... " I grimaced as Laurie shook his head, "Yes, Fred can be quite possessive, I won't let that happen again, I'm sorry. " I nodded, smirked, and added, "It's alright. Although I wouldn't mind a kiss on the cheek again. " Laurie laughed and he gave me another peck on the cheek then led me to our boat where Jo and the other man were sitting.

"There they are! We're coming for you!" Meg yelled from the other boat, gesturing to ours. The two boats rowed next to each other. Jo grabbed my arm and yelled at Amy who had a mischievous smirk on her face and her hand in the water, "Amy! Don't you dare! " Amy splashed water at Jo and Jo splashed back. Laurie and I exchanged a look and laughed with the others until I was splashed by Amy with a grin. Laurie and I gasped and he smirked, "Oh Amy, you will pay for that! " He traded places with me and began a water war with her while Jo and I laughed. 

We rowed away from the other boat after a few moments and I looked back at Beth to see her having a conversation with a boy! I was so proud of her to see her talking to someone who she didn't know, I smiled softly to not bring attention to them and looked back forward quickly before anyone noticed. Laurie seemed to be staring at me again and we smiled at each other before Jo started yet another conversation.

After a while, we docked our boats and ended our little adventure on the water. Beth and her new friend met up with the group as we all said our goodbyes. I walked over to Beth and smirked, knowing what I meant, she giggled and I spoke, "I'm very proud of you... I understand that that couldn't have been easy, did you make a new friend? " She nodded and we all walked together back home.

We had arrived back just in time before sheets of rain began pouring down, all of Laurie's friends agreed to leave before the weather got worse so they left already...

Laurie and I were in the attic having a light and quiet conversation while Jo wrote her book at her small desk in front of the window, a quite perfect spot for inspiration. Laurie and I were seated on the sofa as he played with Oliver and I knitted a new spring sweater for him because he had been growing quite well over the past few months.

My legs were draped over Laurie's lap as I knitted and admired him, he was so careful with Oliver from the way he softly pets him, to the way that he made sure that he wasn't being too rough with the kitten. His hair fell over his forehead like was perfectly placed there as he leaned down to pick up one of Oliver's toys that had fallen off the sofa...

"I don't know about you but I feel as though Oliver likes me! " Laurie stated with a smirk, I giggled then Jo said from her seat, "I said you mustn't talk until I've finished this chapter. " Laurie rolled his eyes while Meg called from the stairs, "Jo? Eliza? Have you seen my cream glove? It's half of the kid pair I had new at Laurie's picnic. " "No. " Jo plainly answered, I sighed and asked, "Did you check the rag basket? Gloves and socks always end up in there somehow. " "Yes and it wasn't there, I even checked all my dress pockets, the wash bucket, and outside..." She said with a disappointed sigh and walked back down the stairs.

"I bet you used it to mop up lemonade. " Laurie remarked, I snickered but quickly yelped as Jo threw her eraser at us with a giggle. Much to his surprise, Oliver jumped and ran to my lap, Laurie and I gave each other a look and we laughed. I then set my knitting supplies aside, sat up, scooted closer to him, and rested my head on his shoulder. "Is this ok? " I whispered, he nodded as Oliver curled up on our laps. Laurie grabbed my right hand and drew on it with his fingertips.

I started to drift off and once I finally let my eyes close, Laurie gave me a peck on the head and continued to draw on my hands.

Moments like these are the ones that make my heart swell...