Chapter 15 {Chores and Disscussions}

I tossed and turned in my sleep all night due to the worries of Marmee, her travel, Father, and what life would be like without her here to keep the house in order... Marmee always knew how to maintain the environment with seven heads under one roof, she would direct us in our chores, help us cope with our negative emotions which were mostly due to heated disagreements, and many other things... She was our glue, would we fall apart without her?

I turned once more to face the window closest to my bed only to see the sunrise on a dewy morning, the air and nature seemed peaceful, which I would have admired, but my mind was fogged with worry and the lack of sleep I had received...

A sleeping Oliver purred in his sleep as I slipped on my slippers and shawl, his eyes widened as he heard me and stood up quickly on my bed only to fall over because he hadn't fully awoken. I giggled quietly so I wouldn't disturb the still sleeping girls and picked him up to take the kitten downstairs for a spot of breakfast.

I tiptoed down the stairs with Oliver in my arms, I stepped into the kitchen where one of his resting baskets resided and placed him inside. After a few steps and kneading into the blankets, he drifted back to sleep. With a smile on my face, I turned to the pantry to see what I could make... We had some leftover rolls and butter from last night's dinner. Then an idea came to me, I could reheat the rolls, take some sausage and fruit preserves from the icebox. That should do for a nice breakfast... With a nod, I got to work and started with lighting the stove...

Some time had passed and plates of sausage patties, warm rolls, butter, jam, milk, and fresh fruit were scattered around the dining table and ready to be eaten... I walked over to the stairwell and yelled, "Wake up! Breakfast is ready! " After a few moments of no response from anyone I yelled again, "I got out the Jam for some breakfast rolls that might spoil soon! " Almost instantly I heard shuffling above me and Jo and Amy yelling, "Save me a roll! " and "Me too! " With a laugh, I turned around to hear a knock at the front door. Who could be coming here at this hour? 

I opened the door to see Laurie standing there with a tired grin on his face. "Oh, Laurie! Care to join us for breakfast? " I asked to which he asked with wide eyes as he touched my now short hair, "Oh dear... Eliza, what happened to your hair? " My cheeks flushed a crimson red in embarrassment, I had a feeling that Laurie wouldn't care for the style too much... He noticed this, with wide eyes and a worried expression, he said, "I-I... I apologize, I didn't mean for it to come off in a rude way... I was just shocked by your new appearance is all, not that I mind though, or rather the fact that my opinion on your looks doesn't matter anyhow- " He stopped talking once I started to giggle, "Laurie, it's alright. And your opinion matters to me... We will continue this conversation later because the girls will be down here any minute. But pay no mind or attention to Jo's hair, she made a larger sacrifice where our hair is concerned. " He nodded in understanding. 

Laurie thought for a moment and I assume he remembered my invitation from earlier, "Oh, and I would love to join breakfast with you... I practically just woke up and got ready so I could come here. "  My eyebrow lifted as I asked, "Come this early? What for? " He chuckled and grinned, "To check on you of course... I know that we didn't get to talk because I got home so late because Grandfather had me run a last-minute errand into town, so I made up my mind to come and see you... " We were interrupted before the girls came running down the stairs. Meg widened her eyes as she looked at us, "Laurie! I'm sorry that we're not properly dressed, we didn't know you were coming or else we would have- " Laurie staired at Jo's short hair for a moment before he interrupted with a laugh and said, "Don't worry about it-" Then yet again everyone was interrupted when Hannah opened the back door and slammed it behind her with fresh-picked vegetables and fruit in her hands, with a shocked expression she yelled out, "Eliza! I know it was you who made all of this! You know not to start the stove without- " She stopped her yelling when she saw all of us in the foyer and Laurie waved which I giggled at. Hannah's face grew red then cooled off as she said, "My word, you're all up bright and early! Youse better eat this up before it grows cold and close that door! " We all looked at each other and giggled before we walked to the table to eat.