Chapter 1: Alexander Sieger

Picture of Alex above

"Bubby!" I hear the twins yell simultaneously, snapping me out of my daydream.

"Sorry boys, I zoned out there for a minute. You know, one of these days you're both going to be old enough to make your own breakfast," I said smiling slightly at my kid brothers before turning back to the stove to flip our bacon.

"Nuh-uh, you'll cook for us forever!" Jeremiah said as he and Joseph spun around on their barstools.

If only that were true. This would be my last summer at home before heading off to college. Granted USC is only around thirty minutes from the house, but Dad said he wants me to have a 'proper college experience'. Meaning I will probably live off ramen for the first year, gain fifteen pounds, and have an overbearing roommate that refuses to do their dishes. Oh, joy!

"Alright boys, let's eat," I said making our plates and sitting down at the counter on the barstool next to Joseph.

After a couple of minutes of listening to the twins jabber on about whatever six year old's jabber on about and we were all done eating. I washed and put away our dishes, got their shoes on, and herded them both into my car. Pulling out of the driveway, I made the quick drive to the twins' daycare and stopped the car in front of the entrance.

"I'll be back to pick you two up this afternoon. Promise you'll both be good for Janet?"

"We promise," the twins said in tandem as I watched them skip toward the door of their daycare. Janet, the owner of the daycare, opened the door and ushered them inside.

"Now to go pick up my suits," I muttered under my breath.

A short time later and I was standing in the dry cleaners picking up the suits my dad had gotten me so I could look respectable for my summer job.

"Your Dad lose some weight?" the owner of the dry cleaner asked dryly handing over the suits.

"He wishes, these are actually for me."

"Ah, well congrats on the fancy job. Come back any time," he said as I quickly paid and thanked him before returning to the car and calling my best friend.

"Epicenter of the universe, God speaking," Kai answered in his normal sing-song voice.

He always had a one-liner for answering the phone when I called.

"Still up for swimming at your place today?" I asked already driving towards his house because it was more of a rhetorical question.

"Obviously."

"Good, I'll be there in five."

After a few minutes of humming along to a song on the radio and I was pulling into Kai's driveway. Kai had a nice house, sleek and modern architecture surrounded by the American classic white picket fence which they always left open because they were one of those families who didn't mind their neighbors showing up randomly with a casserole.

"Honey, I'm home!" I yelled walking through the front door.

I heard Kai's Mom chuckle from the living room, "Kai is already out back, I laid you boy's towels on the deck. Try not to drown each other."

"Thanks, Mrs. D!"

Trotting out the back door I could already hear Kai splashing around in the pool attempting to sing a song playing on the radio that he clearly didn't know the words to.

"Think fast!" I heard seconds before I was hit in the head with a volleyball and knocked ass over teakettle into the pool. Thankfully I already had on my swimming trunks and had just set my phone on the deck.