Chapter 4: Punched Out

Picture of Kai Dawson above

Devin's POV

"What the hell did you do that for Ray!" I yelled at the club's bouncer who was now carrying the unconscious boy towards the exit.

"I warned him once already. You told me you didn't know him anyway."

"That didn't mean you were allowed to just knock him out. What am I going to do with him now?"

"I can give him a ride home," the dude that was sitting on the couch with Alex said.

"Oh fuck off, you just met him," I said glaring at the man. He just shrugged and trotted back down the stairs.

I followed Ray outside to find two more people that both looked like they were in a minor scuffle of their own. The bigger one jumped up hastily when he saw Alex getting carried out.

"What the fuck happened to him!" he yelled at me.

"He snuck inside and this dumbass punched him out," I said pointing towards Ray who was now sitting Alex down against the wall.

"You know the reason I'm here is that he needed a distraction so he could sneak in and get you out, right? If you weren't such an asshole maybe you would realize that nobody here would be in this situation if you didn't leave your new employee stranded in some back alley while he sat around wondering how he could keep himself from being fired."

I deserved that.

Alex POV

"You doing alright buddy?" I heard Kai's voice murmur.

I could feel myself slowly waking up, my head was pounding and I could feel that Kai was carrying me bridal style off to god knows where.

"Wait, I have to get Devin to his meeting," I can't get fired my first day, my Dad would probably disown me.

"He can find his own way there, Alex. Worry about your face first and that asshole second."

"Please?" I said giving him the puppy dog eyes that never fails to get me what I want.

After a few seconds of my stare, Kai finally caved.

"Hey, asshole! Get in the car, Alex says he needs to get you somewhere and he doesn't need to put up with any more of your shit today."

"Yeah sure whatever, let me just hop into this car with two people I've known for less than twenty-four hours combined. Yeah, that's a great idea," Devin said walking up closer to us.

"Please just get in the car, Devin," I said now shooting my puppy dog stare towards him.

"Fine whatever, but if you guys hold me ransom I'm going to be pissed," Devin said jogging up and getting in the backseat of the car.

Kai placed me down in the front seat of his car and reached over to get my seatbelt buckled.

"I may have gotten punched in the face, but I ain't dying Kai. I think I can buckle my own seatbelt," I said laughing a little as he jumped back and froze a moment before running around the car to get in the driver's side.

"How do you know Alex anyway?" Devin asked from the back seat after I told Kai the address of the building the meeting would be held in.

"Oh sorry, I would've introduced you all but I was unconscious," I chuckled mildly, still slightly agitated over the situation, "Devin, this is my best friend Kai, Kai this is my, uh, boss I guess?"

"Oh, that sort of explains how angry he was at me," Devin muttered, "How long you have two known each other?"

"Our whole life pretty much. My Mom used to say that if she didn't give birth to me personally she would think we were brothers," I smiled at the memory of my mom scolding Kai when he was throwing one of his infamous tantrums.