Chapter 3: The Getaway

Picture of Joseph and Jeremiah above

Alex POV

"Can I ask where we're going?" I said, now sitting in the back of a car looking over at Devin playing on his phone. When we left his house Devin had whispered something to his driver before we got in, so I had no idea where we were going.

"No," he responded simply, not looking up from his phone.

We sat in awkward silence for a few minutes before I looked back over at Devin with a questioning look.

"What?" He asked, clearly annoyed.

"What's the story about the October 'incident'?"

"I have a feeling you aren't going to drop it, so fine I'll give a quick rundown," Devin said, finally sitting down his phone, "I was coming out of the club one night with a girl I had just met, we were planning on going back to my place but we didn't really want to wait that long if you catch my drift."

"Uh sure," I replied awkwardly, willing the conversation forward.

"Anyway, we decided her car would be a decent enough spot for a quick hanky-panky. The problem arose when I was near uh, completion and I may have said someone else's name," Devin chuckled. "She kicked me out of the car buck-ass naked in front of one of the most popular clubs in L.A. Of course, a cop drove by almost immediately and I got hit with a public indecency charge."

I couldn't help but let out a laugh. Devin looked bewildered as he watched me laughing.

"Sorry, just picturing you in that situation is hilarious," I said trying to stop the giggles.

"Usually people aren't laughing when they're thinking about me naked," Devin said with a cocky smirk, now laughing along with me, "Just kidding, I know what you meant. I'm just glad someone around here finally has a sense of humor."

"Allie seems nice though," I said as we fell into a more comfortable silence, thankful that sharing a laugh broke the ice.

"I don't know where I would be without her. She's been with me since the beginning. She saw a nobody singing on the corner of a busy street and helped me refine my talent. I would still be singing on that same spot if she hadn't come along."

"Are you saying Allie was your vocal coach?"

"Yup, she's easily as talented as I am. I've been trying to get her to feature on some of my albums, but she always says that just isn't for her." 

"We're here Devin," I heard the driver say.

"Well, that's my cue," he said quickly exiting the car.

"Wait!" I yelled to get his attention while getting out of the car to follow. We were parked outside of what looked like a rundown brick factory building of some sort. I noticed Devin walking down the side of the build towards the back and quickly followed.

"You should stay in the car, you won't be able to get in anyway," Devin said over his shoulder as I ran to catch up to him.

"Get in where?" I wondered aloud.

"The Getaway," he said simply like I was supposed to understand.

We rounded the back corner to find a set of stairs that lead down below the building. I watched Devin go down the stairs and knock twice on the door before he stepped back and waited. Seconds later the door opened and a tall, buff guy wearing all black stepped out holding the door open for Devin.

"Wassup Dee, head on in," the man said before looking up at me, "You know this guy?"

Devin gave me a glance and an apologetic smile, "Nah, never seen him before in my life."