Chapter 6: Sleep Over

Devin's POV

I awoke slowly to the sound of faint snores coming from either side of me, the room I was in was shrouded by darkness. The only source of light illuminating the room was the slightly ajar door that led to the hallway. After I had taken a moment to recover from the fog of sleep I gently looked over to find that the source of the snoring was coming from Alexander's twin brothers who were tucked into my sides. Carefully extracting myself from their snuggles, I took a moment to shake off the numbness in my arms from the hours of being used as a pillow by the pair. It wasn't until I opened the door a crack wider, allowing light to reveal more of the room, that I noticed there was another person asleep in the room with us. On a bean bag chair behind where I had been sleeping, I saw Alexander curled up in a ball using his suit jacket as an impromptu blanket. His chestnut brown hair was tousled and his shoes had been haphazardly kicked off, leaving them laying on the floor on either side of the bean bag. His full lips were parted slightly, moving in and out gently to the rhythm of his breathing.

I'm being weird, I thought to myself. I quietly stepped out of the room and closed the door behind me lightly before pulling out my phone. I muttered a curse when I noticed that it was already seven o'clock. Janet and the other children had likely already been gone for a few hours. A loud growl from my stomach alerted me to just how hungry I was, Alexander and the twins likely hadn't eaten anything for a while either.

Heading upstairs into the kitchen of the silent house I considered trying to cook something myself, but accidentally burning down my house because I had no idea how to cook wasn't something I felt like dealing with. Ultimately I opted on getting some food delivered.

While I waited I thought it would be helpful to go over the interview requests that Alexander had mentioned earlier. The way these requests work is the interviewer sends a rough outline of the kind of questions they plan on asking whomever they'd like to interview. Much to my surprise, Alexander had already gone through all the interview requests, leaving a checkmark or and an 'X' on the top of the paper. On the bottom of the stack of papers, I found a single paper that he had labeled with a question mark. It was titled, 'The Real Devin Waters', and the questions weren't the usual, shallow, surface-level questions that I had come to expect from these interviews. The questions were more personal and philosophical in nature. I would've been lying if I said I wasn't a little intrigued.

Just as I had finished reading that last request I heard the doorbell ring. I replaced Alexander's question mark with a checkmark and placed a quick signature so he would know I had done it. I rushed to the door so the sound of the bell wouldn't wake up the sleeping boys downstairs, and thanked my security guard after he handed me the bag of food that I'd ordered. Placing the food down in the kitchen I retreated down the stairs and into the nap room that we had all been sleeping in. Alexander and the twins were all still asleep, but I couldn't just let the food get cold. I slowly crept up to the sleeping boy a gently shook his shoulders, not wanting him to awaken in a panic.

I watched as his ocean blue eyes fluttered open and slowly looked up at me. He opened his mouth to speak, but I pressed my finger to his lips and pointed over to the still sleeping children. He froze for a fraction of a second then nodded in response as he quietly got up, grabbed his shoes, and slipped out the door behind me.

"Sorry I fell asleep, I got all my work done and found you all already napping so I decided to join you," he said fixing his hair.

"No worries, I just woke up not too long ago myself. I ordered us some food since I'm sure you all didn't have dinner."

"Oh, thanks," he said smiling coyly, "what time is it anyway?"

"It's about seven-thirty, I can't believe we slept that long."