3

James didn't understand Regulus and that bothered him. He usually prided himself on being able to read people, but Regulus had built up so many walls that James could not possibly break down. His friends had noticed that he had been acting strangely over the past few weeks. He wasn't talking about Lily as much, he wasn't as talkative as usual. Instead, he spent his time wondering about a certain Slytherin. He watched him from across the Great Hall. He sat alone. He always did. His short brown hair was always perfectly curled on his head. His uniform always put together and completely wrinkle free. He always had a book in his hand, hunched over reading, breaking his usually perfect posture. As Regulus got up to leave the Great Hall enthralled in his book, James jumped up to follow him.

"Where are you going Prongs?" Remus asked. James panicked for an excuse.

"I uh, got some reading to do for my potions assignment. I'll see you guys in the common room." James spoke quickly as he ran off. He followed behind Regulus. He always disappeared after dinner and was nowhere to be found. James noticed how careful Regulus was to make sure no one was following him, luckily James had his invisibility cloak. He soon began to recognize the route he was taking. He was going to the astronomy tower. James had never spent much time in the astronomy tower, however Regulus spent as much time as possible up in the tower. After the many flights of stairs, the two boys reached the the top.

"I know you're following me Potter. I could hear your breathing. You'd think you'd be in better shape after playing so much quidditch." Regulus said with a sarcastic tone lacing his voice. James blushed and removed the invisibility cloak. "Why were you following me?" 

"I-- I don't understand you." James stuttered out. His usually confidence abandoned him and he suddenly felt very exposed. "What happened after Sirius left?" 

"What's it to you? Not like I matter to you." Regulus turned his back to James and looked out the tower. The sun was setting and the sky had turned brilliant shades of orange and pink. Regulus found peace in the sky and took and deep breath. James on the other hand, was struggling to find a response.

"Sirius always talked about how terrible your parents were. How cold they were. Sirius was like you when he came to Hogwarts. He was quiet, withdrawn. He kept his head down and kept his mask on. But he changed. You didn't." Regulus turned to face James. 

"Stop acting like you know me. You don't. My brother left me. I did what I had to do to get by. My life has been decided for me. Sirius had an out. He had you. I didn't." His abrasive tone made James take a step back. 

"I'm sorry Reggie. I'm sorry I didn't reach out. I'm sorry I stole Sirius away. I'm sorry you are alone. Let me help you. Let's start over. Can we do that?" James asked. He was unsure of his words but held his hand out for Regulus to shake. 

"Hello Potter, I'm Regulus Black."

"Hello Reggie. Pleasure to meet you."