Setting up the plan

This was not going according to plan.

Tommy sat trying to convince Ghostbur to stay in Logstedshire.

"I need you to cover for me. You gotta stay here."

"I don't understand, why do you wanna leave vacation?" The naive ghost asked innocently.

"Look, when Dream comes, I just need you to tell him I'm mining."

"But you aren't."

"Please Ghostbur I don't have time to explain," Tommy pleaded. Talking to a ghost was like talking to a wall.

He clutched the compass Ghostbur had delivered from Phil, needle pointing far away from the plains he sat in. Tommy shifted on his feet, makeshift shoes wrapping around his toes and ankles protecting him from the dirt and grass, and hopefully, the snow.

He turned to leave when he heard a familiar voice behind him.

"Where are you going Tommy?"

Fuck.

Tommy hadn't expected Dream to visit this soon, or even this day at all. He had been following an every other day pattern up until now. He quickly tucked the compass into his waist and turned to face the man with the lime green hoodie.

"Just to gather more wood," he mustered as casually as he could.

"Mhm, nice shoes."

"He's mining," Ghostbur said, trying to be helpful.

"Oh is he?" Dream said, turning back around to face Tommy.

"Oh I'm fucked," Tommy thought to himself, trying to think of more excuses.

"You look like shit, you ever wash that thing?" Tommy blurted out gesturing to the lime green hoodie Dream never seemed to take off, the insult aimed to distract him from the ghost's statement.

Dream laughed. "Do you?"

Tommy looked down at his own shirt, covered in dirt and grass stains.

"Phil would kill me," he thought to himself, trying to maintain composure.

"What do you want, prick," Tommy tried his best to act natural despite the fact that his entire body was screaming at him to run.

"I just came to visit my friend," Dream said with a sinister tone as he began to pace, "oh and of course... your items."

"Ok," Tommy sighed reluctantly. "Less resistance less suspicion," he thought.

Dream dug as Tommy began to empty his inventory. Except, he didn't. Tommy kept the tools he had crafted for the journey tucked away.

"That it?" Dream asked, looking down at the pile in the ground. He had left just enough to be believable.

"Uh huh-" Tommy started, before Dream cut him off.

"Sword?"

"Oh I didn't-" Tommy was cut off again.

"I know you have a sword Tommy."

Tommy began to panic. There's no way he could make the journey without a weapon.

"Please I worked so hard-"

"Drop. It."

Tommy was out of chances, Dream was angry.

He had no choice but to drop the sword.

"And don't you ever, try and hide something from me again you understa-" Dream's arrow lit the TNT, knocking Tommy to the ground.

"Yes Drea-" Tommy stopped too, because he saw Dream staring at something, and when he looked down, he saw his shirt had come up when he hit the ground, revealing a gleaming compass tucked into his waist.

Uh oh

"Oh?" Dream questioned as he reached to pull the compass out from under the elastic of Tommy's tattered jeans. Tommy too shocked to stop him. "Tommy," he continued to question, "what's this," he held up the glowing blue compass and pushed his arm out toward Tommy's face.

Shit

Unable to form words, all Tommy could do was watch as Dream read out the name on the compass. 

"Techno's compass."

Tommy opened his mouth to speak before a stern voice shut him up.

"Save it," Dream told the terrified teen, "I know you were planning on escaping."

"Escaping?" Ghostbur asked innocently, but was ignored.

"I didn't want to have to do this," Dream positioned himself behind Tommy, who was still laying on the ground, "but you left me no choice." Dream grabbed him by the arms and wrapped a lead tightly around his wrists, pulling him to his feet. To Tommy, there was no point in fighting. He was busted with no armor and no weapons by a guy in full netherite who was a better fighter than him anyway. In fact, Dream was such a good fighter, the only person who could rival him was, quite ironically, Technoblade.

Dream led him past the camp toward the village, stopping at the ruined portal. Silently, Dream broke a one of the netherack that creeped out from the unfinished portal, revealing a ladder.

"Down," Dream commanded.

Tommy obeyed.

He was led down into a dark room with chiseled gray walls and only a single torch to light up the room.

"Give me your tools, I know you weren't planning to travel with just the things you dropped earlier," Dream said sternly as he untied the teen's wrists from the coarse rope. He had honestly forgotten he still had any items on him. Tommy emptied his inventory completely in defeat. Dream gestured to an iron door attached to some iron bars that separated the room into two. Dream flicked a lever on the wall and Tommy walked into the cell, not needing to be prompted. Dream followed him into the cell and shackled his ankle to a plain white bed in the corner.

"Don't try anything, someone will be here to watch you shortly," Dream flashed his axe to indicate the seriousness of his implied threat. "Have fun!" Dream climbed back up the ladder and replaced the netherack over the hole.

"Techno, huh?" Dream chuckled to himself, amused. "Guess I have someone to visit."