Questions

"Told you government was a bad idea."

"Shut up and let me finish the story."

"As I was saying Dream had-," Tommy continued to tell of the events leading up to their capture for his brother who attempted to piece together the intentions of their captor before they were interrupted by the sound of a block breaking followed by the familiar creak of the ladder.

Dream pulled over a chair from the wall adjacent to the ladder and sat just in front of the bars that looked into the cell.

"Well... how are my favorite friends?" The masked man was met with complete silence from his audience. He tilted his head in disappointment from the lack of reaction. "Guess no one wants to play. Oh well, I brought some food," his tone changed between the phrases as he tossed some steak and potatoes through the bars. "Techno, it's your favorite." Starved as they were, neither brother made a move to grab them, instead they continued their stares onto the man in the lime hoodie. If looks could kill, Dream would have evaporated on the spot.

"Brothers, huh?" Dream continued, "I can see it."

Techno, sensing Dream had no intention of ending this conversation, one sided or not, decided to speak up.

"What do you want, Dream."

Dream, clearly excited to see some participation, replied, "Oh well that depends on what you're asking. Overall, I would say power, control, the works," he stood and took a step toward the bars, resting one hand on the cold iron before continuing, "but with you two...," a low chuckle could be heard from behind the smiling mask. "you'll find out."

"So you're not going to reveal your evil plan? That's kinda anticlimactic," Tommy overcame his shakiness to mess with their captor.

"Yeah that's like villain 101 dude," Technoblade added.

Dream laughed, too amused to be disappointed at his speech's lack of effect.

"Alright, well I'm going to be asking some questions," Dream declared.

The two captives looked on with sarcastic anticipation.

"This should be fun," Techno commented.

"Where do y'all live," Dream asked.

"Where the fuck do you think?" Tommy responded.

"You were literally there less than a day ago, do you need another compass or something?" Techno mocked the questioner.

"Ok fine, dumb question," Dream said, attempting to suppress his furious reaction to the sarcastic responses. "I'll ask out of curiosity now, tell me about your childhood."

"What kind of question is that?" Tommy said with only a hint of his usual anger.

"Just answer it."

"Well it all started when I was a baby," Tommy began.

"We were very poor, had to sell our toys for food," Techno chimed in.

"Yeah we lived in a bad part of...um...Mexican l'manberg."

"Both our parents died mining iron."

"Yeah, I can barely stand to look at lava now."

Dream gripped the iron bars in rage, knuckles turning white in the process.

"Fine. If playing nice isn't going to get me anywhere...," Dream pulled out his axe and swung it harshly to his side. "We can try something else."

Dream walked over to the lever and swiftly entered the cell. He held his glowing axe that provided some of the only light in the room and approached the two brothers. Tommy scrambled back toward the wall as far as his chain would allow and Techno positioned himself in front of him closest to Dream. Stripped of everything including the crown atop his head, the protective brother attempted to shield his sibling from the pain he had felt before.