c h a p t e r s e v e n t e e n

B E L I E V E  I N  M E

Theodosia desperately wished she could read minds.

She watched Larry as he walked up ahead, surrounded by Kahmunrah's guards, to the supposed "cube of Rubik." She knew what a Rubik's cube was. Nicky had brought one with him one night, when Larry was still the museum night guard. It was small, small enough to fit in the palm of her hand, and other than being notoriously hard to solve, it didn't have any special properties.

Yet Larry looked like the picture of calm.

Nothing in his posture or face gave away whether he was stalling or had an actual plan to save them. Kahmunrah kept a close eye on him as he led the group, distrustful, despite wanting to know if Larry was telling the truth.

Theodosia had been so mad at Larry before, but now that he was here, surrounded by deadly Egyptian warriors, all her anger vanished. She loved him. He was a part of her family – her people. Larry was flesh and blood, like Ahkmenrah when the sun was set, and she could easily lose them both to Kahmunrah's wicked temper. One false move and those sharp spears could kill Larry.

Even Ahkmenrah seemed neutral. If he was worried about Larry's plan, he didn't show it. Theodosia tried to mimic their ease, but her nerves were buzzing with anticipation. Larry was never known for his bright ideas. She had a sinking feeling that this whole thing was just to buy them time, but what then?

She was pulled from her racing thoughts as the group slowed, finally reaching their destination. In front of them was a long wooden crate, and no Rubik's cube. Larry led Kahmunrah over to the crate, gesturing to it casually.

"There it is."

Theodosia shared a doubtful look with Ahkmenrah; even he was beginning to look worried. She shuffled closer to him.

"Open it," Kahmunrah ordered, staying back.

It was fully apparent now that Larry was bluffing. A small part of her was relieved Larry's entire plan didn't rest upon a tiny puzzle cube, but it was overshadowed by her new worries. What was in the crate? How did Larry know what was in any of these crates? What if it was nothing and Kahmunrah was truly as cruel as he seemed to be?

She held her breath as Larry pulled open the left latch, the wooden crate creaking and groaning as if it sensed him, slowly making his way across to the other latch. Theodosia recognized the new tension in his shoulders and the deliberate way he stepped. He was afraid of whatever was in that crate, which meant that somehow, he knew what he was doing. Her hand searched from Ahkmenrah's as Larry eyes met hers.

She heard the words he couldn't say: Run.

Theodosia grabbed Ahkmenrah's hand as Larry flicked open the second latch, allowing the creature inside to emerge. The wood shattered into splinters as giant pink tentacles burst from the crate. Far enough away, they watched as a giant octopus crawled from the box, visibly angry. Without warning, it began snatching Kahmunrah's guards and tossing them like ragdolls.

As soon as it had Kahmunrah, Larry scooped up the tablet and escaped into the tall stacks of shelves. Theodosia was quick to follow suit, pulling Ahkmenrah with her into the maze of shelving to find Larry.

She caught glimpses of him through the openings in the shelves, caught the glint of the gold tablet in his arms, just before she was yanked back and pulled into the shelves. Panicked, Theodosia assumed it was a guard, but she soon realized it was Ahkmenrah who had pushed her behind a tall, shadowing crate. He covered her mouth, silencing her.

She was so stunned she could only watch him, betrayed, as he waited for Kahmunrah's guards to pass their hiding spot.

As soon as their footsteps quieted, she pulled his hand off her face. "What are you doing?"