c h a p t e r f o u r

W H A T  I S  L O V E ?

The next night, Theodosia didn't waste any time finding Larry.

She had reflected on her behaviour and decided that she had been too harsh. Although Theodosia fully believed she was valid in being distrustful of Larry's position as a nightguard, he had proven himself to be a kind person, despite Theodosia's decidedly rude treatment of him the night before.

He had even agreed to her request to roam the museum freely, and trusted her when she said the others wouldn't fight anymore. Waking up to an open exhibit made her realize she owed Larry an apology. Her opinion of him was based off her opinion of someone else, which wasn't fair.

Besides, she still wanted to make a case for Ahkmenrah before she went to visit his exhibit. She felt silly, undoubtedly, that she was going to go back. For all she knew he really was evil, or he didn't actually like when she talked to him. But she felt compelled to go back, she couldn't explain it. It was like Teddy with the beautiful woman behind the glass. He probably couldn't explain it either.

Theodosia didn't want to believe Teddy was right about the Pharaoh. She may not be the best judge of character – considering...recent events – but she believed Ahkmenrah was being wrongfully misinterpreted. The old night guards were manipulative. They locked up plenty of exhibits because it was easier to deal with; they probably convinced Teddy he was evil because they wouldn't be able to control him.

He was the owner of that magic tablet, after all.

She left her exhibit immediately and began searching for Larry, accepting directions from multiple exhibits until she finally found Larry leaving the African Mammal exhibit. Theodosia would have stopped to contemplate why, but Larry was a surprisingly fast walker.

Although she almost stopped to stare when she was almost hit with a colorful set of plastic keys – the perpetrator being an angry monkey.

"Uh – Larry Daley!" she called. "There you are, I've been looking for you."

"Oh, Theodosia, hey. Just call me Larry."

"Yes – right. Larry. I'll remember," she nodded. "You can call me Theo, like Teddy. If you want. I like it."

"Uh, okay, sure," he said, flashing her a surprised smile. "So, you enjoying your freedom? Nobody's picked any fights?"

"I've never been happier," she sighed, a smile over taking her face. "What's that saying? I feel like I'm on a cloud of nine."

"You mean you feel like you're on cloud nine?"

"Yes!" she nodded. "That. Tonight, is the first time I've woken up to no bars blocking my view. And, everyone is getting along just fine. I can't believe it took me so long to realize that this was exactly what we needed. But honestly, I don't think it would have made a difference, if we stopped fighting. Those old men just liked to watch us suffer."

"It's weird, they seemed so nice when I met them, but...the proof is in the pudding, I guess," he shrugged. "Looks can be deceiving."

"That's why I thought the worst of you," she said. "I thought you must be like them, but it was wrong to decide who you were before I got the chance to talk to you myself. A good warrior should always be able to admit when she was wrong, and I was wrong. I was petty. You're a noble man, Larry Daley of Brooklyn, and I hope we can be friends."

"It's ancient history," Larry smiled. "Actually, maybe you can help me with some of these exhibits. You're not the only one that doesn't like the uniform."