c h a p t e r e l e v e n

T H E  A F T E R  P A R T Y

Theodosia awoke with an unwavering sense of sadness. She didn't know why Larry being fired affected her so much, but she was upset knowing he wouldn't appear in the doorway of her exhibit, having defeated his boss like he had defeated Cecil and the other nightguards.

Truthfully, she still didn't know what being fired meant, but she knew it meant she would never see Larry again. She had no idea who would be wearing the nightguard's jacket tonight, but no one would be good enough to replace Larry. He was the first nightguard to listen to them, to help them. No one would compare.

Theodosia spent the first part of the night with her head resting in her hands as she sat on the Spartan's platform. She didn't want to explore the museum or see any of her new friends – simply put, she just didn't want to meet the new nightguard. She would let them freak out about the exhibits being alive, and hope they wouldn't be so scared they would shut them in.

Three nights prior, she was ready to behead Larry Daley, but there she sat, devasted that he was gone.

Korinna, Alec and Percy watched in a huddled group across the room, worried.

Theodosia was always lively, even during the time they were locked away. She was always angry waking up to the closure, sure, but throughout the night, she always attempted to brighten everyone's spirits. Alec remembered her vibrant stories well. They were always a welcome distraction. However, Alec also remembered the nights when the nightguards hit a particular nerve and she spent the entire night by herself.

No one, not even Helene, could rouse her.

"We should cheer her up," Korinna suggested. "She looks so sad."

"I agree," Percy said, standing up.

"Don't waste your time," Alec butted in. "When she gets like this, nothing changes her mood. Believe me, we've tried."

"But now we can leave the exhibit, she may be more receptive," Percy pointed out. Alec shrugged, not convinced. Theodosia always dealt with things alone, it's how she had always been.

"There's no sense in arguing about it all night," Korinna grumbled. Alec and Percy watched as she stood, striding across the room to Theodosia.

She knelt and looked sternly at her. "What is making you so sad, Theodosia?"

"I'm just thinking," she denied. "It's nothing."

Korinna leaned forward and pinched the skin of her leg. She ignored Theodosia's squeal of surprise. "You're helping no one by hiding your feelings, just admit something is weighing on you. You'll feel better."

"Larry's been fired," Theodosia sighed. Korinna looked at her confused. "He is no longer the nightguard here, because of the mess we made last night. I don't want to meet the new nightguard. He won't be Larry."

"You liked Larry that much?"

"He was an admirable man, Korinna. He fought to protect us from those old men, and he made sure we all returned safely before sunrise. He barely knew us three days. Not many would do what he did for us. It isn't fair that he was fired."

Korinna nodded. "I didn't know him well, but he sounds like a good man. Theodosia, I don't think he would want you to be so sad about his leaving. Alec, Percy and I were going to join the other exhibits downstairs. Why don't you come?"