c h a p t e r f i f t e e n

K A H M U N R A H

Theodosia had never expected to wake up again, especially not at the Smithsonian, where the tablet wasn't supposed to be. When she woke up, laying in that crate with Ahkmenrah the night before, feeling her flesh turn into hard wax, she thought it would be the last time she ever felt alive. But when she woke up in the same dark crate, feeling Ahkmenrah's breath on her face and his warm skin on hers, she realized she had been wrong. She was alive, and she was with the man she loved. But any happiness they shared in those first moments after waking up were quickly extinguished.

As it turns out, Ahkmenrah has a brother, and Theodosia never knew.

He didn't often talk about his family, not really, but never once had he mentioned having siblings – let alone one so vile and cruel. It was bad luck that they were at the front of the crate, near the opening, when Kahmunrah and his guards pulled the doors open. They were only there because of the golden tablet in Dexter's arms, but it Ahkmenrah that Kahmunrah first saw, and it was him who pulled out. Theodosia had to fight to go with him, and as they clung together, she saw the realization flicker in Kahmunrah's eyes. She knew Ahkmenrah saw it too. She had never seen Ahkmenrah scared, but she had to guess this was the closest she'd ever come.

He watched his brother so closely, he hardly blinked. He kept Theodosia close to him. The grip on her wrist was almost painful, but it only told Theodosia some of what she needed to know – Ahkmenrah wasn't willing to let her get close to his brother, but it was why that she couldn't figure out.

She knew he would despise her for this, but when his Kahmunrah's guards came closer, with their long spears, close enough for Theodosia to touch, she seized the opportunity. They were so sure of themselves, so sure they had Theodosia and Ahkmenrah backed in a corner, they weren't prepared. She stole the spear from the guard closest to her and knocked out the other one.

Now they couldn't get so close, and her and Ahkmenrah weren't so outnumbered.

"Theodosia!" he exclaimed, reaching to pull her back. She shook off his hand and held her ground. His brother only smiled, amused.

"Well, well," he taunted, "seems I underestimated your pretty little friend, Brother."

"Kahmunrah, don't hurt her," Ahkmenrah demanded, glaring at his brother. "I'll do whatever you ask."

Theodosia didn't let Kahmunrah's eyes wander to his brother. "So, you're Ahkmenrah's brother? I can see why he didn't mention you."

Kahmunrah didn't reply, much to Theodosia's frustration. He didn't move from where he stood, holding off his guards who were more alert now. He looked Theodosia up and down like she was nothing but a pesty insect and he was deciding the best way to get rid of her. His gaze reminded her of the Chinese women from back at the museum, in their beautiful dresses and elegant jewelry. She knew now what they really meant, and it was that she wasn't like them. They were the wives and daughters of emperors and nobles, and Theodosia was barefoot and wild.

If he was Ahkmenrah's brother, he was royalty too, and by the way he sized her up from head to toe, she knew what to expect when he opened his mouth again.

"And who exactly are you?" he asked, boldly stepping closer to Theodosia and the spear she pointed at him. "From the looks of you, you would be lucky to kiss the ground I walk on, and yet here you stand, threatening me."

"You might be a king, but you are not my king," she growled, tightening her grip on the spear. "I would show the dirt under my feet respect sooner than I would show it to you."