Chapter 71-First day

*It is early morning on the day after your surgery. Amy, Tyren, Penelope, El and Sofia went home. Scarlett and Brie are currently at your apartment/El's apartment. Your parents both stayed the night in the hospital, but got up early and went home to get some fresh clothes.*

You wake up still in a lot of pain, despite the medication. You look around. Lizzie is asleep in her cot next to your bed. You look to the other side and see Lizzie's mom.

Jarnette: Good morning. How you feeling?

Y/N: Hmm...okay I guess.

Jarnette: I assume that means not good.
*she slightly smirks*

You smile

Y/N: No, not good, but I will be.

Jarnette: That's the kinda optimism I like to hear! I didn't get to tell you yesterday, for obvious reasons, but congratulations!

Y/N: Thank you! I don't think it's really set in yet. So much has happened over the last week or so that nothing feels real anymore. But I know that I'm happy.
You look over at Lizzie sleeping and smile at the way her lips are slightly parted and her brow furrowed.

Jarnette: I'm happy to officially get to call you my daughter in law!

You smile widely at her

Y/N: I'm glad about that too.

Jarnette: Would you like me to go get the nurse for anything? You said you weren't feeling good, is it the pain?

Y/N: Yeah but I assume it's supposed to hurt after open heart surgery.

Jarnette: I'm gonna go get him either way.

Y/N: Okay, see you in a minute.

She gets up and walks out of the room.

You turn back to Lizzie and lean over to tuck a piece of hair out of her face. She startled awake.

Lizzie: What's wrong?! Is Y/N okay?!

You chuckle softly

Y/N: Lizzie it's me. And yes, I'm fine. Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you up. You should rest.

Lizzie sits fully up

Lizzie: I've had plenty of rest. How's my wife doing?

You smile

Y/N: I'm never gonna get used to being called your wife, but I love it and you! I'm doing fine.

Lizzie bites her lip

Lizzie: I love you too. Where is everyone?

Y/N: Went home, I guess. And your mom just left to get the nurse.

Lizzie looks concerned again

Lizzie: Why? Are you in pain? Are your stitches okay?

Y/N: It hurts but not terribly. I still just feel pretty weird and drowsy, like I'm hungover or something.

Lizzie: Well it's probably the anesthesia and the pain killers.

Y/N: Yeah.

*Lizzie stands up and pulls on a sweatshirt from her bag.*

Lizzie: So, what should we do today as our first full day of newlyweds?

You laugh lightly but stop yourself because it hurts.

Y/N: I don't think I am supposed to really do anything today.

Lizzie smiles and takes your hand