Chapter 3

I opened my sleepy eyes, the world was blurry, but all I could see was gray and white spots. As my vision focused, I realized that I was in a small cave, just big enough to hold a Monstrous Nightmare. Luckily, I fit. My bones ached, but not like ever before. The walls were covered in white crystals, all glinting in the torchlight, for there was a torch above me. I heard a sound, it came from an entrance that I hadn’t noticed before. A Night Fury came to the rocky arch, one I did not recognize. How many are there?! And where am I? Where’s Toothless? As if the dragon could read my mind, another Night Fury came into view, one with a red tail fin.

“Toothless!” I cried. I tried to stand up, to run over and hug him, but I just fell back to the ground. What did that drink do to me? I tried again. No luck.

Then the Toothless spoke, “Hiccup?” His voice was like mine, it made me jump.

“You-You can TALK?!” I burst, surprised.

“Not to humans, but to you I can!” he responded, not making much sense.

“But, I am a human…” I raised an eyebrow at him.

“Well-” Toothless started, raising his arm.

The other Night Fury cut him off, grabbing his arm, “Not now. Wait until your mother is here.” This male Night Fury had an accent almost, something I didn’t think dragons had.

“Toothless, you found your mother?!” I asked, joy flowing out of me.

“Our-” Toothless began again.

“No Toothless!” the Night Fury said again. Toothless looked down.

“Ah! Here she is, I’ll leave you three to talk,” then the Night Fury left as another came in.

“Oh, Hiccup!” this female Night Fury was the one from earlier, the one in the village. I could tell that she wanted to come hug me for some odd reason, her arm reached out, but she didn’t come due to the size of the room, it was too small for both of us plus Toothless.

“How do you know my name?” I asked, troubled by all this, talking Night Furies, my weird feeling in my aching bones.

“Erm, T-Tooth...Less told me.” she seemed to dislike the name I had given Toothless what felt like so long ago, “Now, I wish this room was bigger, but oh well. We’ll make do. What to start with… Hmm… Well, let’s jump right in. I am your mother.”

I jumped. What?! No, Valka is my mother. No way a Night Fury could bemymother!

“Uh, Valka is my mother,” I said plainly.

“Well… She’s your adopted mother. You see…” and she began her story.

“Years ago, when Night Furies were still out in the world, we were the dominant species. We were the top dragons in all the realms. But the other tribes got jealous, they started planning to get rid of us! We fought back, but even our amazing skills were no match for the huge mobs of dragons that attacked us. Many were dying each day, we had to do something. So our leader, Eclipse, called a meeting. There we decided that we should dig a huge city underground, making tunnels and caverns. Soon, we got to work. Using the whole tribe of us it took a month, but we did it. We made a secret, huge, underground world for us to survive in. We stocked it with animals, keeping them safe for a while until they reproduced so much that we had tons of cow, sheep, goat, you name it. We are still hiding in it today, for that’s what you are currently in, but getting a whole tribe of dragons into a small hole leading to an underground city in secret was hard. Especially when there is every other type of dragon watching for you. We decided, partly to honor our leader and partly because it was good cover, to escape under an eclipse. On the night of our frantic escape, I had eggs. All Night Furies know that when a Night Fury has eggs under an eclipse, one of them will be blue, not black, and hatch as something else. Once we had a deer, once, a cow, but you, Hiccup, were the first human.”