Chapter 6

Startail looked as if she had been waiting for this moment since she had laid my egg. Her eyes glowed with delight as she looked upon my new scaly face, "I always was looking forward to your first flight... I'm just glad that I actually get to share it with you." I thought I might have seen a tear start to form in her eye, But I don't think dragons can cry. "Now, you start with the preparation; first you open your wings." I obey, spreading my leathery wings to reach a wingspan of a surprising 50 feet across. I almost laughed with excitement as I felt the sudden surge of strength. I glanced around the huge cavern, knowing that one of the dragons in the air would be me soon. "Next, you bend your legs, preparing to jump with a flap, like this," she bent her short legs and spread her wings, her gaze focused on the air above her. Then she jumped and flapped her enormous wings which gave her an amazing burst into the air. "Then you must keep yourself up in the air, which isn't too hard. Just flap your wings. Really, it's simpler than it looks."

 I took a deep breath, then bent my legs. I jumped, flapping my black wings along with it. I was airborne. Hovering in the air, I flapped once more just to be sure that this wasn't a dream. Flight. Real flight. This is what I made my own gliding wings for, and now I was experiencing it like a dragon does. Toothless took off beside me, now all three of us were hovering in the air. Three black dragons with a new family.

 "So, how's it feel to be-"

 I cut her off, suddenly realizing that Toothless was flying beside me with no problems whatsoever, " T-Toothless.. You're flying! Without me on your back!"

 Toothless grinned his gappy grin once again, "yes!" He brought his tail around to show me. The red fin that had been his replacement was gone, and instead there was a fully functioning Night Fury fin, one like he had before I assume! "The doctors put this amazing paste on it yesterday when we got here, and when I woke up the today, it was healed!"

 "Oh Toothless!!!" I tried to go and hug him, right then and there, but he lost control. His wings flapped violently, his tail swerved in different directions, sending him suddenly diving downwards. I tried to save him, but I knew that I could do nothing with such little flying experience.

 "Toothless!" My mother cried, but there was nothing she could do.He was already about to hit the ground when a Night Fury came out of nowhere and cushioned his fall by throwing herself under him. Toothless crashed right on top of her, letting out a wheeze as the shock from the fall hit his chest. The female Night Fury coughed a little, but the impact Toothless had made on her wasn't terribly hard.

 She craned her neck around to look at him, "You alright?" That's when I noticed her blue eyes. Toothless obviously did too, for he was mesmerized by them. His pupils grew large and he just stared. "Are you ok? Hello?" Her voice was sweet, even I couldn't deny it, like honey on a light green leaf, dripping down to the tip till it fell off.

 Toothless shook his head, his pupils turned to their normal size again, "yeah... Yes, yes." He struggled to get up, but failed miserably, looking like a fish out of water.

 The Night Fury laughed, "here, let me help you." She lifted her wing to help Toothless off. He slid off of her sleek body and did a little fidgety thing with his talons. The female stood up, shaking like a dog. Her scales rippled in the light. Light? I looked around to see an amazing ball of light in the middle of the cavern, like a mini sun. I also saw waterfalls that poured out of the walls that I hadn't noticed earlier. They ran down to a lake at the bottom of the cavern. The bottom was actually deeper than the land I was hovering above now, the land I was on now encircled the center of the room, which had dragon nip growing at the bottom. I realized that this place looked like it had meant to be just like the outside world. There were trees on some of the ledges that didn't grow any higher than the light. I wonder what that is... some sort of sun? It sure acts like one. The plants don't grow anywhere it doesn't shine. The circle I was hovering in currently had columns of rock with carvings in them that were placed every 70 feet or so, just enough for a dragon or two to fly though if they overlapped wings or didn't have their wings spread full out. It was separating the outer circle from the middle I think?

 "I'm Comet." The Night Fury interrupted my thoughts by talking to Toothless. I stared down at them, then I angled my tail fin just as my mother had demonstrated and started to dive towards them, but Startail's tail wrapped around mine, silently signaling for me to let them have a moment.

 "I-I'm Toothless... Well, my mother named me Starnight, but my brother named me Toothless," Toothless said, blushing, if dragons can blush that is. I could see the admiration in his eyes. "Thanks for saving me, you were quick."

 "Heh, I tried. I don't know if it was the best save in history, but it was okay. It did the job right?" Comet was blushing too, I could tell that they both had feelings for each other. Beside me, my mother held her talon to her heart, smiling with the most happy eyes. I placed my talon on her shoulder and almost bumped into her, still getting the hang of flying I guess. My past experience with Toothless and other dragons helped me understand, and the gliding helped too. Toothless and Comet finally took their eyes off of each other and peered upward as my mother glided down towards them, me following wobbly behind. I descended to Toothless, he helped me land, I almost crashed.

 After landing beside him, Toothless introduced me and my mother to Comet, "Comet, this is hi- I mean Darktail, my brother!" Toothless gestured to me, I smiled, but it wasn't the same. Comet laughed a little. "And this is my mother, Startail!" He paused, thinking for a moment. He turned to mother with a 'I suddenly have an idea!' face. "Wait, what was dad's name?"

 "Oh," Startail smiled, "Darknight. Yes, I thought that you'd figure it out soon. I thought that to honor him, I'd name you both with parts of his name. But, when I couldn't figure out the other parts of your names, I just filled it in with mine! So switching them around I came up with Starnight and Darktail."

 I nodded in understanding. She was clever, my mom. It's weird having two mothers, especially when they're both from separate species!

 "So, I was just about to go flying around central forest, wanna come with?" Comet was mostly asking Toothless, but she was nice enough to invite all of us. "You too Startail and Darktail."

 "O-ok." I stuttered nervously. I had just learned how to fly, I didn't need to demonstrate my amazing flying abilities just yet. That was sarcastic by the way. Comet spread her wings to take off when I noticed a weird shape on her underbelly and tail, it almost glowed it was so white. It had a rounded, but starburst sort of shape at her belly where it started, but then it stretched down her underbelly, sort of jagged down the sides. Then it slowly got thinner and thinner till it disappeared at her hind legs. "What's that?" I asked, pointing to it with my talon.

 "Oh, that's my 'comet'," she said cheerfully, but then her voice turned more bitter as she continued, "it's a scar I got when I was escaping from an evil man. He captured me, but luckily I was able to break free from his terrible grasp."

 "What evil man?" Toothless asked curiously.

 "I'd rather not speak about it..." Comet muttered, then brightened. "So, let's fly!"

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

Comet belongs to

Thanks to her I can include this wonderful character in my story :)