⠀⠀01. welcome⠀⠀

ICED WITH VIBRANT colours and topped with classic, rainbow sprinkles, the old woman's order for her grandson's birthday cake looked delightful

ICED WITH VIBRANT colours and topped with classic, rainbow sprinkles, the old woman's order for her grandson's birthday cake looked delightful. Satisfied after observing its contents, she closed the box back up, once again directing her gaze towards the girl behind the counter.

"I hope it's managed to meet your expectations," Y/N said, placing a small business card front face-down on top of the box and pointing to the printed text at the bottom. "Otherwise, we've also got a refund poli—"

The woman clicked her tongue, dismissing the girl's words with a wave of her hand. "Oh, don't be silly." Having already paid beforehand, she picked up the box, ready to head back home. "There's no need for refunds. It's marvellous!"

A small smile made its way onto Y/N's face. "In that case, I'm glad it was up to your standards. Thank you and have a nice day!"

The woman chuckled heartily in appreciation. "You too, sweetheart."

The girl watched her as she opened the door to leave, just as another customer stepped in—one she had never seen before. She was sure of that, because her bakery was a small, family-owned business that only really was popular among those who were already regulars.

The youth was evident on the man's—or perhaps boy would have been the better word—features; while the structure of his face was sharp, there was definite baby fat still on his cheeks, giving him a more boyish look. If Y/N had to take a wild guess, she'd conclude that he couldn't be much older than twenty-five.

Upon his dark hair rested a brown cap—though it wasn't sitting straight. She wondered if he knew it was wonky, or if he'd set it like that on purpose. Whatever the reason, it caught her attention before the rest of his... questionable outfit.

As he neared the counter, Y/N halted her train of thought with a single shake of her head, sending a smile towards the man... or boy. "Welcome! How can I help?"

He looked at her, blinking innocently a couple times before his attention moved to the display. He'd clearly not made up his mind yet, because he was thinking hard. Y/N considered giving him a few recommendations since he looked a little torn between all the different options, but soon enough, he seemed to have figured out what he wanted as his green eyes caught the donuts on the tray.

"Hmm... five—no, six of those donuts..." he began, tone indicating that he was not yet done. Then, with a sudden excitement that Y/N typically only ever saw in children, his attention shifted to the other end of the display.

"Oh, oh! And a dozen of those cupcakes! And another dozen of the cupcakes next to them too." With a second thought, he then added, "And a box of chocolate chip cookies... with an extra cookie inside. These macaroons too!"

As he went on and on, Y/N was thankful that her memory was good enough for her to remember everything he was saying. She began to take out everything he'd wanted from the display, positive that he'd just ordered ninety percent of her bakery.