⠀⠀bonus, part 1⠀⠀

THE WEATHER FORECAST had, with full certainty for the first time in a long while, promised a bright and sunny day, so the Armed Detective Agency had taken the rare opportunity to organise a picnic to the countryside

Ranpo, of course, had invited Y/N along—something that wouldn't have been possible prior to the current year, sheerly because of how busy the girl used to be at the bakery. Though now, with a few other people helping her around, she tended to have a lot more free time on her hands, which was just what the detective wanted.

Intrigued by the idea of a picnic when Ranpo had told her about it, Y/N had shuffled her shifts around and asked someone else to cover for her while she was gone. She'd even offered to bake up a batch of Ranpo's favourite cupcakes to bring with them too—something he'd eagerly and instantaneously agreed with.

Most of the detectives had tagged along as well—including Fukuzawa, the Director. It'd been difficult to convince him, but surprisingly enough, Ranpo had single-handedly managed to change his mind. It was just Tanizaki and Naomi who'd decided not to show up, apparently having had 'other plans' for the day—some rather suggestive ones, by the sound of it.

Though Y/N hadn't had too many interactions with the pair, she sometimes questioned if they truly were siblings in the first case...

She wasn't even sure if she wanted to know the answer.

When it came to the trip itself, renting a van that could fit all of them was the easy part, but it was driving there that turned out to be the real challenge. For starters, Dazai, who was initially riding shotgun thought it'd be amusing to mess around with Kunikida while the blond drove. Needless to say, it hadn't taken long for Fukuzawa to make the decision to switch seats with Dazai as Kunikida muttered something about how the brunet would kill them all.

Then, there was Ranpo's constant whining. "Are we nearly there yet?" he'd ask every few minutes, groaning when Y/N would tell him there were still around two hours to go. She'd eventually, however, managed to start up a conversation with him about all the cases he'd solved, and he enthusiastically (and a little egoistically too) relayed them all to her while his head rested against her shoulder.

At least he's stopped whining and is having fun, Y/N remembered thinking.

To top it all off, halfway through the trip, the front tire of the van had gone flat after a jagged stone on the road had pierced through the rubber. Fixing it had been a combined effort between Atsushi, who had raced to the nearest gas station seven kilometres away to buy a spare tire (with Fukuzawa's money) and Kenji who had lifted the van and held it up for Kunikida, the one to actually replace the tire.

It was safe to say that the drive alone had tired everyone out with all the bumps along the way, but they soon realised it was well worth it when the picnic site finally came into view.

Yokohama's countrysides were famous for their lush, green plains that were littered with patches of farms (growing mostly wheat, among some other crops too) and forests here and there. Though the majority of the trees were evergreens anyway, it was in summer that their colours truly became vibrant as the pigments in their leaves flourished beneath the sun's rays.