⠀⠀07. an inevitable conversation⠀⠀

AFTER RANPO AND Y/N had parted ways for the evening and Y/N began the walk home, she came to realise just how much the day had tired her out

AFTER RANPO AND Y/N had parted ways for the evening and Y/N began the walk home, she came to realise just how much the day had tired her out. The heels of her feet ached with every step she took—carrying a giant, stuffed bear wasn't helping—and all she wanted to do was run herself a nice, hot bath—maybe throw in some essential oils and light a candle or two—and relax.

But it seemed that the universe had other plans for her, and some peaceful relaxation time was not on the agenda.

Upon stepping into the two-bedroom apartment she called home, Y/N was met with her sister who sat on the sofa, holding a paper in her hands.

She'd seemed to be in deep thought with her gaze directed towards the words on the page, but when she heard the light creaking of the front door as it opened and then closed, she glanced over her shoulder and hastily tucked the paper into her pocket at the sight of her younger sister.

Y/N had been too busy taking off her shoes to notice S/N—or the paper she'd quickly hidden—so when she looked up and finally saw her sister, she couldn't help but wonder why she was home so early. There was always the possibility that her shift at the office she worked at had ended quicker. Still... S/N was home two hours earlier than normal. Was there, perhaps, something important going on?

There was no use pondering over it. Y/N could just ask her herself.

"S/N, hey," she greeted as she made her way towards her sister and plopped down on the sofa. "You're home early." She placed the teddy bear between her and her sister, excitedly saying, "Look what I got!"

Her sister gave her a small smile, though maybe the exhaustion was just messing with Y/N, but it didn't reach her eyes.

"It's adorable," S/N mused. "Did you have fun?"

Y/N couldn't keep the smile off her face as she nodded eagerly in response. "Oh, S/N, I have so much to tell you. It was amazing!"

S/N looked up, a little more nervous than usual, "Actually, could it wait...?" She released a heavy sigh. "The thing is... we need to talk."

Her sister's tone caught Y/N off-guard, and those four dreaded words... In all the movies she had watched and books she had read, they never promised anything good.

She straightened her posture, an odd feeling in her gut. Despite being slightly hesitant, Y/N wanted to hear S/N out. "Go ahead."

S/N nodded. "Then, I suppose I'll get straight to the point." Her gaze met her sister's. "The bakery isn't running too well, is it?"

Y/N's brows rose in surprise. Was this what S/N had wanted to talk to her about?

"Well, it's true that we don't get as many customers as we used to before all the huge restaurants filled the street." The girl laughed nervously. "I wouldn't say it's not running at all, though."